Friday 13 September 2013

Cake Stands

My friend and I are trying to make some cake stands from old plates to sell at a local Christmas fayre.I have learnt lots about drilling plates.

 
Bloke showed me how to put tape on the plate to stop the drill bit from skidding around. I used a 6mm tile drill bit (borrowed from my dad)but some plates were easier than others. Earthenware plates were fine but bone china ones were much harder to drill. Unfortunately the prettiest plates we had were all bone china so we have had to buy new drill bits because I burnt out my dads one. Whoops!


 
This one has a sort of game bird theme with pheasants and ducks but I think it will be a one off customer who wants this one!
 
It has been a very enjoyable upcycling project.
So, ten more to go...
 
It is showtime here tomorrow so today we will be busy, baking, collecting, harvesting and crafting all day long - so much Fun, fun, fun! Jo x

12 comments:

  1. Your cake stands look great Jo - you and friend have done a lovely job with them. How on earth do you drill those plates without smashing them?!!!
    Enjoy showtime!
    Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cake stands, I've wanted to try making one for some time - well done you! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really nice. I've seen people do this and I've wanted to try but I'm afraid of breaking the plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly you don't break the plates, you break the drill!

      Delete
  4. What a clever idea. I never knew this was possible. I hope you charge a good price because they are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spoke to someone who did this and she said when she started the probably broke half of the plates she had! I've seen some with teacups on the top to put sugar lumps in which is a nice idea. Hope you make lots of sales Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have inspired me to jump on over to our thrift store and pick up plates!!!! These are fantastic!!!! What did you use for the center rod...they are so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jo what a wonderful show - would you let us know when your fayre is as I would love to come over to visit. Have a wonderful day tomorrow wish I was with you all.
    Lots of love as always
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have done a wonderful job Jo. I bought my plate drill bit about 2 years ago and I still haven't gotten around to it. I am sure they will all sell. Well done. Hope you have a lovely weekend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done, Jo! I hope you sell all you want to!
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete