Saturday 1 June 2013

New sewing Machine

Eeeek! While I was away my new sewing machine arrived. My lovely next door neighbour took it in for me and kept it warm (and I believe dry, after hearing the weather reports from this neck of the woods) for the week we were away.

It is a Toyota Oekaki. I have been wanting a new machine for ages, not because my Brother one has packed up but for you seamstresses and quilters out there you will know how much I wanted to let the needle free form rather than running in straight lines and you could not do that on mine.

So here she is with a shiny new 'ching' on her:


It has an extension table for when I get round to making that quilt I have been dreaming of, a flower foot for making pretty flowers, zipper foot, applique foot for popping little things onto bigger things... I know, I am just rambling with excitement...

 
So today I started with something small. Big Sis had a whole in the knee of her jeans so I made a patch to go over it. I used the free form foot and was able to 'drop the feed dog' (lower the zigzag teeth that pull the fabric through in a straight line) and just whizz my fabric up and down, round and round to my hearts content.
 I just love it.

 
Now doesn't that look funky?
 


So much better than putting them in the bin. Repaired by mum with love. I am making something else tonight because I have not got enough wool to finish the edges on my pretty crochet cardigan I am dying to show you. You know, the game of wool roulette I play, as if I haven't got enough excitement already with my new sewing machine. Bye Jo xx
 

9 comments:

  1. I think the jeans look even better with that patch - it's fab! Did your daughter like it? Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting, a lovely new sewing machine! The little patch on the jeans looks very sweet.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fantastic for you Jo - I wish you many hours of happy sewing and look forward to seeing lovely new projects zipping off that fab new machine; you've made a great start with that gorgeous little heart - yippee!!! Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Jo fab, love your heart, it is so funky. Your holiday photographs are just lovely. Looking forward to your forthcoming posts, thank you
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-) xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow wow..Jo so nice to get a new machine. I have heard how crafters become attached to their machines..i am sure you two will have a fantastic relationship :) Looking forward to some lovely projects from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the machine, and the patch is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all, glad to see you back visiting me. Got a head full of stuff to make and do. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on the patch - I can 'drop the feed dog' too but then just sit and stare at the fabric for a bit before popping off to do something else! This looks great! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to your brave heart, you are on your way to all sorts of creative adventures, Jo! Thanks for posting! xxGracie

    ReplyDelete