Saturday 4 January 2020

The Long Road to Loki 2020

Introducing my epic knit for 2020: the Loki Sweater from Knitting from the North by Hilary Grant. There is the usual element of yarn jeopardy alongside a more considered approach to the start of the project.



The yarn is a complete mystery! There I said it. It is a huge unlabeled skein I bought at Wonderwool in April 2019 for £10. It feels like 4ply and it is definitely wool because I set fire to some of it and it smelt like burning hair. I made yarn cakes with the help of my girls and weighed it in at 316g. After a few calculations from the Sprindrift website (the pattern's choice of yarn) I worked out I had enough in the main colour. I felt like it was worth the risk. There is always bracelet length sleeves!



I ordered some cream Drops Flora as the best match to my rhubarb/raspberry yarn for the colourwork contrast. It is a bit thinner but I felt all set up.


Next I went to Ravelry to see if I could find out about any snags from previous knitters. A very useful move as it concluded that it knits up small if your colourwork and normal knitting are different tensions. Knitters also said they wished the waistband was more boxy. It also revealed that the chart in the book was wrong. 


After scanning the miniscule chart and blowing it up so I could read it more accurately, I cut off the 29th and final row of the pattern which turns out to be a repeat of the first. I covered the pattern in sellotape ready for a few months of knitting and to act as a big bookmark.


You know I mean business when I knit a gauge swatch. This wise move revealed that on 3.5mm needles I could get gauge exactly over stocking stitch. The challenge for any stranded knitter is to be able to repeat that on the colourwork section. My floats are looking pretty good so far and there is still a good amount of stretch in the finished fabric.



Over the holidays I have made 4cm of ribbing. I did this on the 3.5mm needles to keep the waistband boxy and the pattern is now set with 280 stitches over a 28 stitch repeat - 10 beautiful feathers. I am loving it so far.



Wish me Luck, I am on row 50!!! Jo xxx

10 comments:

  1. I think you're sweater will look gorgeous when it's finished. I could never tackle such a project as I'm a monogamous crafter and it would take far to long. I'm looking forward to watching it progress. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great choice of pattern Jo. Raspberry red is one of my favourite colours, ever. I have this book on my shelves but haven't used it since a discovered a mistake in a hat pattern chart. I couldn't figure out how to fix it and have now lost the will to persevere. What a good idea to check for snags on Ravelry! I have bookmarked a few colour-work patterns on Ravelry, now thinking about yarn. Here's to a happy knitting year xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is very pretty - I'm new to knitting and a long way off from using two colors like that but thanks for showing the back as it gives me more of an idea how that is done - one day maybe I will be ready to try

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sending you the best knitting mojo and positive luck I can muster. You will do a great job, perfect colors for your amazing epic knit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You shouldn't have to check patterns for faults. Does no one proof read these days ? I once bought a book of sock patterns and couldn't understand what I was doing wrong.... nothing ! My husband looked up reviews to find that there were mistakes on about 5 patterns. I chucked the book and went back to my old trusted pattern. Love that colour wool. ! Good luck .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in awe of this, I could never knit anything so beautiful. I have tried colourwork a couple of times because I love the look of it but I have learned that I can't do it well. I don't think I hold the needles properly. Sigh. So I shall live vicariously through yours. Happy New Year to you and all yours. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh that looks exciting and very complicated. I look forward to seeing your progress and it looks as if you have made a good start already. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brave creative woman! Your beautiful work continues to inspire me. Thanks for all your posts even the ones I don't comment on. I appreciate your efforts! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, reading this post has helped quite a lot! Thank you :) I have just started knitting the Loki sweater (first jumper project) and have finished the ribbing. I’ve now got 286 stitches as the book directed (medium size) but just can’t work out how I can fit the pattern... would you recommend decreasing to 280 rows/stitches? Many thanks, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete