Thursday 5 December 2019

Simplicity 8658 Cotton Top


I can't do this top justice in the photographs. I have been wearing it a great deal with either my jeans, a denim skirt or with trousers for work. It is cold in the house in the mornings but boy is it hot in a Primary school. The selection of crumpled images that follow are after a days teaching wear under an ancient Boden shearling gilet. It is so dark to take photos at this time of year.


The pattern is one of the new Simplicity Pattern Hacking patterns which encourages you to use a base pattern and make changes. Really it is pattern with lots of 'views'. Some people have poo pooed the concept in pattern reviews online but I have to say I really like this pattern.


The fabric is a lightweight cotton dobby from Minerva which I purchased in the summer in the sale. The white check pattern is woven into the fabric and I really love it.


On completing the shirt the elasticated wrists felt like the sleeves were wearing me rather me wearing the sleeves so I cut some volume out of the lower arm and added a more simple gathered cuff. Enough to get over my wrist felt like a good idea and then I didn't need to make a placket and buttonhole. Lazy! I used some satin bias to finish the neckline.


Anyway, I will be 'hacking' my way through more versions of this pattern because I really like the raglan sleeve and neckline which is very comfortable. I am trying a short sleeved Ponte Roma version next.

Thanks for dropping in. Jo xxxx

2 comments:

  1. That looks smart and comfy. It is always good to get lots of looks out of a pattern and I look forward to seeing the next version of it. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely Jo. You look wonderful in that brilliant top.

    ReplyDelete