Thursday 2 June 2016

Victoria Crochet Shawl

Victoria, the crochet shawl, is making me very happy at the moment.




When I get a bit miserable, which isn't very often, I really have to splurge some cash on something to treat myself. I have spent most of my life being pretty frugal and I sort of love the challenge of it but sometimes there is no better antidote to being a bit low than spending a ridiculous amount of money on some yarn. There has been such a long in my life when I have used left overs and donated materials that this would have been alien to me back then but now I work hard and sometimes you just have to be a bit kinder to yourself...

so with some local wool shopping, bring it on Debbie Bliss 4ply Luxury Rialto sock yarn and the beautiful Victoria shawl pattern from Sandra at Cherry Heart.


I bought them while I had a bad back last month when the actual physical movements of knitting and crochet were off limits, buying seemed the only way to keep the yarny dream alive.It kept growing over my recovery weeks, giving me joy and thinking time.


Then one day my daughter, Little M, asked, "How did you make that flower on that wooden thing?" and I was perplexed. I went off to fathom out the mystery and this is what she meant.



It was the shape of the yarn ball as it unraveled from the yarn butler and she loved it so much she wanted me to take a photo of it because she knew it wouldn't last forever. It would all get tangled together in this thing we call crochet.




Thanks for stopping by. Love Jo x

15 comments:

  1. What gorgeous thing to spluge on, the colours are beautiful. Happy happy crocheting, enjoy wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shawl is just beautiful, Jo. I agree with you, sometimes you really do need to splurge. I really like that yarn. I have some Rialto DK that I've been squirrelling away and I should just use it already. Now I need to decide what to make with it. I hope you're doing well and feeling like yourself again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought some lovely yarn on Tuesday, nothing too pricey, some King Cole Drifter. With 25% cotton I can knit without it making my hands hot and sticky. I have my eye on some Cashmerino next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody should have a little treat now and again, yarn is one of the best treats ever. Love the shawl, the pattern and colours are beautiful. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely beautiful. I've just finished a small shawl too. Genuine British vintage wool. Soft beige fleck with dark green contrast. Just a plain granny, but it suits the wool.Bet you make another!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is so pretty! I just bought the pattern, so it's nice to see it made up. The yarn was a good choice:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful shawl and yarn. Yes we should treat ourselves more often x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is lovely, Jo, and such gorgeous yarn. I wish we had shawl-wearing weather around here. It is boiling hot already.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your shawl is beautiful Jo. It is true we all need to have a little treat of some special yarn now and then!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. That variegated yarn is really lovely, you can tell it's good quality just by the depth of colour. And yes we do need treats. I certainly do! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. While I have been off camping you have been making more beautiful treasures! I am so glad you treated yourself to the yarn and treated us by letting us see what you made, Jo. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful and you definitely deserve the treat!

    S x

    ReplyDelete