Friday 17 June 2016

Little Apple Sun Vest

I had a strange shaped piece of cotton poplin left over from my Fi Fi set due to cutting on the bias which little M loved. So I set about making her a summer top/tunic/vest thingy to use it up. My girls like these because they wear them on their own or with long sleeved or short sleeved T-shirts underneath depending on the UK weather which is pretty wet at present.



I am quite organised but I even surprise myself sometimes. I found a brown envelope in my pattern box and in it was a traced off pattern for a clothkits pinafore aged 6. I made this dress with Big Sis when she was little and must have had the forethought to trace it onto baking paper before we sewed it together in case I wanted to make another with her little sister when she was older. I had even stuck on photos to remind me - I don't even remember doing this!


I seem to have made loads more bias binding than I needed for the PJ set so I used this to finish the back and the armholes. I added the pockets myself and couldn't resist creating the applique apple details. She is six now and one day this sort of fun girls clothing will not be wanted so I am indulging myself a little.


On the first try on I had 'apparently' shortened the dress pattern too much and she said it was too short so the next night I added the frill to give it another couple of inches.


I used up the rest of the vintage pearly poppas I had in my stash for the back, which I have since discovered can be bought here. The button placket was another detail that made it a real corker of a top.



Here's hoping for a whole day of blue skies rather than snippets between showers.
Thanks for dropping by.

Jo x

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! Little Sis and the top!! I love the apples on the pockets and the frill around the bottom. How come I can't wear things like that! A great job. Do I spy photographs in the cabin, if so, I love the wall colour - and the blanket! - and even if not so I still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely top and a cute model:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty little top. So great to be able to turn oddments into something useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute, clever you. I miss the days when my big girl was happy to wear girly things. Time passes quickly, she is taller than I now and knows what she likes. Ideally different from my own likes, teenagers and all... Have a lovely sunny weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful both the model and the top. Love the applique apple it is adorable. Hope the weather picks up it is looking gloomy here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That top is just perfect. I love the details of the applique and the ruffle. It's only a little while in a girl's life when she can wear things like that, so it's totally worth doing whenever you can. I hope she gets to wear her top sans layers very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is just so adorable and I think if it is even possible more adorable int hat top. Your girls look just like you Jo.
    Hugs,
    MEredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daughters are very lucky. Even when they no longer want fun clothes, they will look back at what you made and completely understand why.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a pretty little top! So cute. The applique detail really makes it look special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so clever, I just love it:) my girly girl is 11 and far too cool for anything boring old Mum makes 😥
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one lovely top and a great idea for the pockets. So talented. You have a wonderful model too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable! And so is your little one ♥
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clever past you. Great top, love those appliqué apples.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet! Thanks for sharing why/how you adjusted the pattern when needed...you're very clever. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet top! And such a cute model! It's lovely that your daughters enjoy wearing what you make for them.
    Hugs, Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete