Tuesday 14 June 2016

Nordic knitting

One of my New Years resolutions for 2106 was to learn to knit nordic style. In my fantasy world I was harking back to my skiing days. I envisaged a navy, red and white skiing jumper in wool with an intricate pattern that didn't itch, I would be sipping gluwein in a wooden chalet and throwing my head back laughing something like,'what this? it was so easy to knit!' But in reality I just wanted a challenge and to learn something new because you know how I love being a 'jack of all trades....' I also believe 'variety is the spice of life' and all that.



 I chose a swatch knit from the book Nordic Knit by Eline Oftedal then fashioned a camera case out of it, ever functional me. My bessie bought me the book for Christmas and she doesn't knit so much now so I suspect she thinks I am better than I really am hence the new years resolution.


It is a beautiful book and has been lounging on the coffee table since December looking all Scandinavian and inviting.


OK so it is not a jumper obviously but I really enjoyed a knit that was challenging enough to keep me looking. Even the mattress stitch join on the back pleased me. The yarn is the leftovers from my crochet bag here. King Cole Merino from Minerva.


Big things grow from small seeds so I will see where this takes me over the next few years - maybe I will get that ski jumper one day.


Can anyone signpost me to anything else easy to break me in?
Thanks for looking. Jo x

Ps. Don't forget the Giveaway before the 20th the link is here

7 comments:

  1. You make your new years resolutions well in advance! And by doing so you achieve your goals. I will definitely follow your lead xx love phone case xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Jo!! Well done you for tackling it, it looks fantastic!! Hope you can find a good second project - a computer case perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing, love the look of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would go straight for the jumper Jo, it is bigger but no more difficult :-) You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job and I see very intricate Scandinavian knitting in your future. As for me I am staying with easy and boring knits as I seem to have lost all my brain power fro trying new things.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I am so impressed, Jo! I couldn't do that if I lived to be 500 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have such confidence in your ability and determination to learn, I agree with Christina that you could go straight for making the jumper. It may be a slower project, but I will cheer you on :) xx

    ReplyDelete