Wednesday 29 June 2016

1960 Vintage Swimwear

My latest vintage pattern find was for a bikini circa 1960. I wanted to have a go at making one but I wasn't so keen to wear a flower pot on my head.


I ordered swimwear fabric and powernet lining from The Sewing Chest. The fabric piece was a second because it had a pale blue colour run in it but with the swirly pattern it wasn't noticeable at all. The fabric was thicker than I thought it was going to be which I was relieved about. Overall the thing that pleased me most was that it was £7.00 for a really large remnant piece.


YUCK! it is curling out and looks like a bad bra not a bikini.

I used a bra making method for applying elastic using a 3 stitch zig zag which is a pig to unpick if you decide that in the end it looks rubbish - which it did! The method on the pattern was a bit more crude. The pattern is from 1960 so the use of stretchy fabrics and elastics is not as complex as today. So I unpicked the whole lot over several weeks: the arm holes, neckline, under bust, leg holes, waistband - it was tedious to say the least. Later I applied the elastic in a different way with my serger then topstitched which was much better and they were a super comfy fit.



However I couldn't save the top, when I applied the elastic the second time by turning over as above it made it way too small because I lost seam allowance all the way around so I had to sacrifice the first one as 'learning' and make another. 



I made four modifications - I took some depth out of the shorts, my body is far too short for those in the pattern picture, they would have been scraping the bottom of the bikini top! I took a tiny bit out of the leg arch, added a clasp to the back of the top to get it on and off easily and after much angst I eventually added underwires which sorted the whole droopy bosom thing out really well.


 

I feels great on and all stretches out brilliantly. In my head I reckon I look just like the woman on the packet anyway so no need for a photo really! This one is ready for the suitcase.


Vintage pattern swimwear, now there's a pledge.




14 comments:

  1. That is fab Jo. I have terrible problems buying bikinis due to bust size. Looking good xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never cease to amaze, a beautiful make. Swimwear patterns are about the only thing that I haven't got in my vintage pattern collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good the colour is great. Well done. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, very cute! You're ready for the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspired by your swimwear modelling Carolyn so I was feeling quite brave. The problem is we live in land locked Shropshire - no beach for us!

      Delete
  5. Wow Jo, you look even more fabulous than the model on the pattern packet! Fantastic work. I really admire your sewing, I aspire to your level of work one day in the future. Have a great beach holiday. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is nice to hear from the woman who has made a duffle coat - respect!

      Delete
  6. Hello Jo,

    Well done for another successful make! I'm sure it must fit you a lot better than the ones you can buy and it looks fab! :)

    Thanks also for sending out my prize (the clock kit) so fast, it has safely arrived. It is a lot larger than I had anticipated, so I still need to find what will work best. (I will blog about it when I'm ready...)

    Have a nice weekend,
    Ingrid xx
    Myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic Jo! Your sewing skills know no bounds!!! You could beat all of the sewing bee competitors hands down!! Enjoy wearing it and the holiday too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend Paula who sews suits for synchronized swim teams uses the serger and topstitching method, I think. You should see her sewing set up. I think she has three sergers! You modeled your great sewing beautifully, Jo. Have fun swimming! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done you it looks fantastic and you to if i may say so. Lets have some lovely weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look wonderful in that brilliant new suit!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks terrific! What a great pattern and your bikinis looks so good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to say you are very brave posting pictures of yourself in a bikini, but that makes it sound like I think you are brave cos you look bad - you don't - you look amazing! Well done on that alone! And the bikini is pretty clever too
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete