Wednesday 29 April 2015

Making what you need

I have been crafting my way through my stay-at-home years. I didn't really care if I needed it, I just made stuff to keep my brain busy because I love learning. I made a great deal of stuff out of given items and materials as the pennies were a bit tight but now, the here and now, it feels a bit different.

I want to make things I need because working four days a week means my time is more precious but I have a little money to spend! typical...


Roll up my black cardigan. Some of you may think you would just go and buy a black cardigan but I am really enjoying knitting something that I know I will get a lot of wear out of. I chose the blue cardigan on the right. It has really deep rib on the bottom for a neat nip on the waist perfect for over dresses and sleeveless shell tops.



The yarn is Drops cotton light and is a delight to knit with as far as tension is concerned but does split a bit if you are not careful, tell me a cotton that doesn't...um...I quite like the sweater too... I wonder where our flask has got to...


I think we can all agree this post isn't really going anywhere is it? That's plain black for you... Suffice to say I will call in with the finished cardigan in a few months time. 


What are you working on? Is it fancy or basic?

Jo xx





11 comments:

  1. I'm working on amonster blanket. Lots of teeny squares. Each square takes hardly any time but the thing is growing reeeeeeally slooooooowly, very frustrating. I'm trying hard not to abandon it though!
    Have a lovely day :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've finally cast on the front of a jumper I started about 12 years ago! And my one is grey - not really a colour I ever wear but it should be useful. I love the stripy number - I'm sure I've seen it before - is it a Rowan pattern? Judy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Rowan cafe classic book. Great wearable, fashionable patterns. Grey? That is a useful basic, really got into grey last Autumn. Jo x

      Delete
  3. I'm a terror for knitting for everyone else and never doing things for me. That is going to change, albeit it slowly. I have just started to make an Aran cushion which I will post about when there is a few more rows to show. I have also just finished my cross stitch I have been working on (another post tah dah to come) and I did make my cowl at the beginning of the year. So I am starting to do more for me than everyone else, but you are right there is nothing better than the satisfaction that you have made something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Looking forward to seeing your projects. Jo x

      Delete
  4. I'm working on an epp hexi blanket, I love doing patchwork, I'm using scraps so it's not too frivilous but it does take a lot of time! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am making a dark blue cardigan to wear for work (for those days when I am not stuck in the lab). I could have bought it but there is something immensely pleasing when I swish around in clothes that are custom made for ME. Enjoy the knitting of your own cardi, it looks lovely so far. I tend to stay away from cotton because it always gets so much longer after a while. Maybe mixed with polyester would be better. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. This is 50% poly and 50% cotton so it shouldn't take three days to dry either!

      Delete
  6. I'm still knitting a cardigan I started last year. With it being 4ply yarn & me being a fairly new knitter its taking ages, the lack of time too of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just making stuff is me! Have fun with your making! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to make what I need or make what I will wear, you will love this black cardigan for years.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete