Sunday 7 August 2016

Fi Fi swimwear style

I made this top just before I went away last week, in the final hour, when I shouldn't have really been sewing. I wanted an alternative to my handmade vintage bikini top and bottoms and I had just the right amount of matching fabric left over. I thought the Tilly and the Buttons Fi Fi PJ top could be a good style for a  swimwear top.


Pattern modifications:

cut two sizes smaller than I normally would.
cut the four way stretch fabric on the grain not on the bias.
cut swimwear lining for the cups and front panel.
crossed the straps over on the back for more support.
straightened the hem to remove the curve.

Fitting:
I just kept trying it on and taking new seam lines down all seams until it was snug, trimmed the excess, then over locked the seams but pinking would have worked too.



 

I wore it so much on holiday along with the bikini top. It was great to have a mix and match option.

Thanks for popping over. Back to work tomorrow! Jo x

9 comments:

  1. Wow stunning. That really worked well. Hope you had a lovely break K xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, it looks great on

    ReplyDelete
  3. The top looks like a perfect fit, Jo. I'm glad you enjoyed wearing it, and I hope you have a happy work week :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant idea you look lovely!
    Frankie
    Www.knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo, it's fantastic! You look so nice in it too. I love the way the bust fits (sorry, I'm always making creepy comments about your bust). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really not fair on the rest of us that you could a. make your own swimsuit and b. look so bloody good in it.

    It's really nice. I'm really jealous. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. J'ADORE TOUT CE QUE VOUS FAITE, TOUT EST MA-GNI-FI-QUE !!! BRAVO A VOUS POUR VOS MUTIPLES TALENTS

    ReplyDelete