Wednesday 11 November 2015

Bags of Fun

I decided to have a go at making a new handbag. Not a bag for sewing projects or another happy shopper, a real handbag. I thought the cut off tartan from my full length kilt would be great. It was too itchy for a girls pinafore, I don't need another skirt in the same fabric so my mind wandered towards a handbag. Your suggestions might have come into it too.


The pattern is from Pinterest here. I added details. A good handbag is all in the details. I piped the edge in red, added a magnetic claps and used D rings to hold the handle. The final touch was a kilt pin.



I also plundered every bit of stiffening I could find in the house. The base and side piece is strengthened with pelmet stiffener and the back, top and sides has really heavy duty interfacing. 



The lining is the last strip of thick cotton velour, a piece left over from this skirt.



I really love my bag. It is the essence of winter. My flowery Cath Kidston one can have a rest until Spring now and this one will be used with love.



Ever made a handbag?
Jo x

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely bag Jo. Well done. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic bag, Jo. Lovely piping! Very striking fabric. Lovely!
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this bag and the kilt pin is the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Jo!!! That is fantastic!!! If you had said, this is a new bag I bought, I would have believed you! I of course know and believe that you made it though which is even better!!!!! Hope that you enjoy using it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years ago I took my first sheep fleece, cleaned it, spun it, and crocheted a clutch purse for the friend who gave me the fleece for free. It was fun to make! Your purse is just perfect and a wonderful use for the material left from the kilt...and the pin is a lovely. My husband and daughters learned to play bagpipes, and marched in a pipe band on St. Patrick's Day in New York City back in the 1990s. Your tartan purse happily reminds me of those good memories :) You are very clever, Jo! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not made a handbag - and yours is so cute! Just perfect for winter!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bag is fab! Perfect for winter and the details are super. I have got a pattern for a handbag and a pair of size 28 jumble sale jeans waiting to be transformed but I am not a sewist and I suspect it will never happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowser! That is one amazing handbag. Love the kiltpin fastener too. Thanks for popping over to mine and leaving your lovely comment. I'm taking full advantage of being here and off to try 'Amelia'. I love both hat andcowl. Thanks, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this handbag! What a good use of the tartan fabric. Cute idea with the kilt pin too ;) And sadly, no, I have never made a handbag, but quite a few totes!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at you go! I love this. What a great idea to use the skirt fabric. I think the kiltpin was the perfect touch. It's fashionable and funky at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is there any end to your talents! X It's lovely Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never made a handbag before. Yours look fab! Enjoy using it!
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks amazing, love the piping it adds a very professional touch. Maybe you should make a matching tamoshanta complete with a red pom pom :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jo this is brilliant, and no never made a proper handbag like that!!

    ReplyDelete