Sunday 26 March 2017

Ta dah! Log Cabin Quilt

The story of my latest completed quilt.


I can clean my windows or I can sit and hand quilt. I have been opting for the latter... The quilt blocks have gone together on my quilt and thankfully, they have slightly less of an air of swastika about them than when I last reported to you.



As I am on a stash diet this year, I learnt how to join pieces of batting together using this tutorial. It has made quite a difference to the space now available in the drawers under the spare bed. I kept buying a new pack to have a whole piece when I made a quilt leaving quite bulky pieces left over. They are all the same weight/content so it was fine to join them together.

The fabric jelly rolls were bought as described here in Jan 2016

The backing is a double bed sheet, not even a new one. I rifled around the airing cupboard and found a double sheet from a bed set from years ago, we have a king sized bed now.



 The hand quilting is a really enjoyable part for me but it does knock a bit of a hole in the end of your finger so I bought this prym thimble last year which is sized so it is very comfortable. (I can't remember which letter I am) 



Thread-wise, I just used up lots of silko from vintage reels because it is always good quality thick thread. When I ran out, I used top-stitching thread. I didn't even care what colour it was, I was just happy emptying half used reels.


There was a purchase required to complete this project. I bought 10 metres of spotty bias binding. It is a good one which I have used many times. It is extra wide at 30mm so it makes a great border edge. I sew it on with the machine then turn it over to sew a complete round by hand. Very satisfying and very neat.



At the last minute, as I was emptying my yarn bowl to put things back in their homes, I spotted a transfer from DMC which I had not used in the sewing drawer. It fitted exactly in the corner where I had just landed at the end of the quilting. I stuck it on and finished off the thread, added the date and my girl's initials. It comes off in warm water to reveal the design, I gave mine a full machine wash and hung it to dry on the clothes maid.



Tah Dah!
 






My Log Cabin quilt is all finished and it cost £10.00 for the fabric  18 months ago and £11.97 for the bias binding, the rest was cupboard salvaged. I'm enjoying these moments with my girl who is as pleased as can be. 

Thank you for taking the time to look at this long quilt story. Today I have linked up with Sum of their stories for Handmade Monday Jo x

16 comments:

  1. Wow Jo it looks fantastic and as I've seen the journey from its earlier state I think you have managed to completely wipe out any Swastika-type overtones. The colours are joyous and I love the spotty binding. Such a wonderful quilt for a stash-bushing £21!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, and amazing to have spent so little and used up so much. I love spotty binding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt looks lovely! So cheerful, and not swastikary! There is no harm in making a purchase, when it has an immediate purpose. I'm doing a similar thing to you this year, trying to use stash rather than buy more craft supplies ( http://dinkidots.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/stash-busting-wip-finishing-2017-janfeb.html ) - but I allow myself to buy something if it has an immediate purpose, rather than just buying things for "one day" because they're pretty!
    You've made so much with your stash so far this year, it's great to see! I've not completed anywhere near as many things as you but am enjoying watching your journey. It must be so satisfying finishing things up - I love that feeling! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous stash busting quilt and not a swastika in sight as far as I can see. I'm sure your daughter will treasure it always. Isn't a wonderful feeling to make something lovely from bits and bobs and leftovers which cost nothing at all or very little, I find it very satisfying. I'm on the home stretch now of my crazy coloured s-b crochet blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic. I really envy anyone with the patience and eyesight to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo, it is brilliant. Such a wonderful piece. I would leave it up all the time, hanging from the ceiling for all to see. Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Jo for sticking with it. The quilt looks great and I love the dotty edge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is gorgeous Jo! Perfect for a spring time picnic in the garden. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilt! and such a nice finishing touch, that star in the corner! Super nice colors, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing, I love everything about it. The dotty binding is fab and the way you are using up stuff is just brilliant - a good example to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hola realmente hermoso trabajo , pero me encanto el detalle de la entretela con las cruces para poder bordar muy parejo , bello trabajo saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's just fabulous. I can just imagine how happy it made you - as it would have made me - to use up those sections of batting. It's really beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your beautiful quilt is a treasure...and I had forgotten all about your worries about it evoking a negative symbolic shape recognition [note how I avoided even mentioning the possible word association]. The star is a brilliant addition and helps the quilt to shine with love! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is gorgeous, very colourful you had some super pieces in your stash. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just so lovely! A really beautiful piece of art work!

    ReplyDelete