While working on the hard dusty graft of house building it is good to keep myself motivated with a little interior decor. I know it is really too soon to be thinking about this kind of thing but sewing for the new house keeps me painting rooms and grouting tiles. If I am honest, although I love sewing, doing all that kind of thing in one massive slog at the end would feel too tedious anyway.
This year, one of my crafting resolutions was to learn to make roman blinds...properly. I have made some bodged up ones in the past which ended up in our weekend cabin because when let down, they didn't actually reach the bottoms of the windows! Roman blinds are not hard to sew but don't be fooled; the maths is critical. These are from the first Great British Sewing Bee book.
These fit and were very precise. My motivation to continue to learn how to make these blinds did waiver because on a toile I got the fabric the wrong way round. I nearly gave up but when I saw how much they were to be made professionally, I soldiered on.
These are for the office. The only modification I will do after this initial first hang is to put a tiny hand stitch in the centres between the lining and the spot fabric to stop the slight sag - but I am being picky.
I had originally chose this house/cat fabric from Minerva but it had a screen print error running through it so I was unable to make the blinds. They contacted the supplier, however there was a bigger problem than just the piece I had. Luckily, I was able to keep the piece and was sent the spotty fabric instead. I wanted to use the house fabric so I ordered a sewing bin kit from Dannells.
This will go in the window for pens, notebooks etc. They are really easy to cover and very reasonably priced. I also had a waste paper bin kit and a table lampshade which I will cover with the last of the spotty fabric.
The fabrics work well together and stop it looking too much the same.
I have removed the blind and packed the whole lot up in a dust sheet to keep it clean. It will probably be another 18 months before I actually get to put them out in the room. I have had a fantastic time making these interior accessories and now my attention will turn to making for another room. I am pleased I have accomplished one of my 2019 resolutions - two more blinds to go.