Monday 1 February 2016

That's fate I tell you...

No wonder the clothes I keep making for Heidi are too small, I have been using the pattern pieces I traced off at 122cm high and she is now 134cm! She is growing, she is 8, she doesn't want to hold her dad's hand anymore and holds the side of her head out for me to kiss in the mornings as I drop her off at school.



My friend bought her this book for her birthday. I didn't even know there was a sequel to the wonderful story of Heidi. It is a really heartwarming story of how she goes away to school and returns to her beloved mountains and family to realise her dream of becoming a school teacher.



Bloke and I sat and mulled over the cabin situation last night. We had a log cabin but it was destroyed in the hurricanes before Christmas and we are trying to decide what to do about it. In the end, although we could have talked ourselves in or out of either decision because of the cost, we decided to buy a new cabin.



 As my opening paragraph suggests the children are not children for long and we wanted to enjoy being there with them while they are excited about being outdoors, playing, getting muddy and being engrossed in nature. That is quite a valuable commodity we felt. We had some money saved for a 'rainy day' and I guess a windy one came along so it is just the same justification.



The parts that remain are soaked through after this wet winter so we didn't even go for a new roof on the old walls, we went for the whole lot just to be sure. We gulped, swapped some money around, cut our cloth and ordered it.



Then I read this as I was reading in bed last night and I truly believed we had done the right thing. That is fate I tell you...

Keep you posted of course. Jo x

18 comments:

  1. We must seize the day and keep going if at all possible. Onwards and upwards to your wonderful new cabin that will be even better than the first one because of the memories of the beginning and the triumph over adversity of the second one. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you must have a new cabin and in time it will be more beautiful and more precious than the first. Time is short, make memories for all of you to cherish. Mx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fate indeed! Good decision I think. Good luck with the build. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it when we see signs that reaffirm we have made the right decisions in life. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time flies by so swiftly when they are young. The new cabin will be a blessing for you all x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love serendipity! All the Heidi books were much loved by me and the copy you have there was regularly taken out of the library. There is also another book called Heidi's children. I hope you enjoy the new cabin, it sounds like it gave you all a lot of enjoyment, so why not replace it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right it is fate. You can't get what the cabin offers you anywhere else and you may be able to buy a new cabin but money can't buy the experiences you get up there from it. My birthday card arrived today thank you all so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good news on the cabin, we are looking forward to bringing the mighty caravan to visit very soon. I will wear my special non-allergenic shoes xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful news Jo. So glad to hear you are going ahead and building a new cabin in your Shropshire hills. Definitely the right decision. Sometimes you just have to listen to your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about your cabin! Disaster! I think you would have always regretted not replacing it.
    Heidi was one of my very favorite books as a child. So thank you for the flash back. I'm sure I used to get quite lost in it but I didn't know about the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear about the cabin, but it's great to hear you are going to rebuild
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is fate! I had that book when= I was little, well not that exact one. I vaguely remember that story, Peter is the best ins't he? I think you found so much joy in the cabin, and yes your girls are small enough to still enjoy it. But when they are older it will be a nice place to get away with your husband.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure you did do the right thing, Jo. It's going to be fun to rebuild your cabin and enjoy it with the girls again. I would probably make the same decision. I didn't know there was a sequel to Heidi either, but I do think this is truly the hand of fate in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to love that book, and "Heidi's Children" (again written by Charles Tritten) when I was your daughters age.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this post! I do think it is the right thing to have a new cabin and continue to enjoy the happy times you used to share in the old one before the storm. And how lovely the Heidi sequel is and the way the words spoke to you about your situation....love it when that happens x
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so excited for you, Jo! I am cheering you on as you build again, making a good investment of your time and resources. Reading the Heidi story when you did is such a wonderful confirmation :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. A good decision for all the right reasons. Is insurance an option to cushion the financial blow should something similar happen in the future?

    ReplyDelete