Wednesday 10 February 2016

Sewing tips

Ever done this...?!


Dropped a whole tin of pins on the floor. My friend bought me a pin pebble for Christmas. A palm sized magnet in a plastic casing to pick up pins or keep them on the table. Genius!


I read a post at Love,Lucie and giggled at her procrastination to change the thread colour on her overlocker. I used to be like that until bloke walked in one day while I was trying to re-thread mine. He said "Why don't you just tie the new colour on, that is what we do on a machine at work that packs yoghurt." So I did and it works.
(9 times out of 10)

You cut the threads on the reel side and remove the spools as above.




Put on the new colour and tie a small knot to join the threads. Then slowly chain off a new piece. The first two reels go through easily but you sometimes lose the last two if the knot can't quite get through the eye of the needle(s). It sometimes works but if you have to put the ends through the needle that is no great job, at least you don't have to open up the front and get it all wrong inside.



Today Big sis had her first go on the overlocker. She was frightened, it was perilous, I am not going to lie, however she soon got the hang of it. I'll show you what she made next week when it is finished.

Enjoy sewing or making whatever makes you happy. 
Jo xxx




12 comments:

  1. Hi I cut off too but lift the foot and wind off the tension discs. Tie on the new colour then pull the chain gently to untangle it and sort which are needle or looper threads. Pull slowly each looper thread and they come all the way through. Then the needle thread which will come all the way to the eye. Snip off the knot and thread through the eye. Lower the foot wind up the tension and sew a chain. It took me longer to explain than do but that's how I was taught in the shop. Happy overlocking K xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your top tip too. I can visualise what you mean. Jo x

      Delete
  2. Next time I'm so using this method!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tried and tested tips thanks Jo (although I would have to brag that i can re thread my overlocker in less than a minute these days!!!)
    braggingly yours
    Ash x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you pin magnet! It's so clever !

    Frankie

    http://www.knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am frightened of my overlocker, too. I need a teacher like you. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes how old is big sister? Rowan my nine year old is fascinated by my very new over locker, the thought of his little fingers near the needles is frightening, but I suppose he is okay on the normal sewing machine ... But your heart was in your mouth while she did it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is eight but she would back out if she didn't feel in control because she prefers flight to fight!

      Delete
  7. If I had an overlocker I would certainly follow your advice! However I do have a magnetic pin thing, they are great aren't they, no more spilt pins!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a clever threading trick, and the magnet pin holder/gatherer I know is a big help. I've not had a special pin holding magnet, just used whatever magnet I had handy to attract the pins I spilled :) Cheers for you and Big Sis! May you enjoy success in your efforts xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. My serger book taught me how to tie on the threads, and pull them through. It works until you get the the needles, then you clip the thread and put it through the eye of the needle. Simple and it usually works, but to be honest I still don't like to change them if I can help it.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete