Monday 22 February 2016

Opportunity knocks

Today I had a little trip out. A change from my usual Mundane Monday family jobs. A trip on the train for an opportunity to craft a little and chat a lot.



I sampled up this travel wallet to teach at sewing class and it had its first trip out to the CHSI stitches trade show at Birmingham NEC. I loaded up with my train tickets, press invite, pen and blog cards. 

First stop was a bloggers breakfast hosted by ICHF events who organise these exhibitions. I got to meet up with other bloggers: some I knew Lucy from Love, Lucie, some I didn't Julie and Loti and a blast from the past Shimelle Laine from my frenetic scrapbooking days eight years ago.

We had a workshop run by DMC (run-D.M.C!) sharing some of their new products but I have a few more hours to put into those before they are ready to share, all gorgeous though. Otherwise the day was a veritable feast for the eyes in all colours of the rainbow. You couldn't buy anything, because it was a trade show and not open to the public, but I did manage to come home with a considerable amount of given materials to blog about during the year.

So the eye candy...
 

Yarn from Coats.


Danish toy kits from Go Handmade.


Stylecraft yarn made into the most beautiful blanket.
I must learn to do join-as-you-go crochet.


Fleeces and yarns from woolyknit.


I got to say Hi to Flo-Jo from my knicker making exploits.




There was an amazing knitted exhibition by Bernat of all the Narnia characters, needless to say this was stunning.


I watched a bucket box tutorial by Stuart Hillard using Amy Butler fabrics. I am going to use his corner technique in my class tomorrow night - perfect timing.


 I also sneaked a pic with the teeny weeny Tilly from Tilly and Buttons.


I had a great day out.
Thanks for looking. Jo x



18 comments:

  1. What an amazing event. Thanks for sharing with us K xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been thinking about you today. So glad you had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help but notice your lovely crochet skirt. What a successful make that is. I do like the little knitted toys. I shall try googling them so see what I can find. Fibre artists are so clever aren't they? The good thing is though, that knitting and crochet are available to us all; whatever our skill level is we can make something beautiful.

    I am glad you enjoyed the event. I hope you enjoy your teaching class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo sounds fabulous. Those narnia knitted dresses look amazing. Good luck with your class tomorrow. Where do you teach?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fantastic!! There are some wonderful things, I am sure that you must have had lots of inspiration. The travel wallet looks great, as of course, does your crochet skirt! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you wore your skirt, I loved the 'Yarnia' exhibition stand too, did you see the practical publishing gang, if so did you note there is a new crochet mag out soon exciting or what?
    looks like you had a blast....xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! That's a great opportunity !! Thanks for taking around the exhibition :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant, Jo! I'm so glad you got to go to the show and share it with us. Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, a super day out. I left about 3pm. I kept discovering aisles I had not ventured down!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fantastic xxx I wish I was as talented as you xx I always sneak a peak at your blog at my desk xx the run DMC comment made me chuckle. Much love J xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo fun fun fun! Thanks for sharing some pics. It sounds like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was so lovely to meet you, I really enjoyed a day with people who like making things!
    The join as you go crochet method for granny squares is fab. I found a tutorial on One Dog Woof and I've not sewn them together since, SOOO much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow it looks amazing and the travel wallet is fab
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that press badge looks very official! So glad yo had a wonderful time, the event looks fantastic.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you had a great day. Love that skirt good to see you wearing it again it really suits you. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was fabulous to meet you on the Cygnet Yarns stand - I will definitely be getting some of our new yarns out to you so you can make something amazing with them. Your skirt has inspired me - I spent about two hours on Pinterest last night looking at crocheted skirts!!!!!!
    Alexie - Cygnet Yarns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My one is called the Pepe skirt and if you go on ravelry it links to my blog post on making one. Thanks Alexie.

      Delete