Monday 4 April 2022

Preparing for Impulse Buys!

There is a slight juxtaposition in my title but read on and all will become clear. My girls and I are on the countdown to the Wonderwool yarn festival on the 24th April, 18 days to go!! Leading up the the festival, for me, means using up any scrap yarn or unfinished balls already in the basket so that I can enjoy guilt free shopping and browsing. 

I started a blanket in 4ply cotton but the yarn was too fine and the blanket was too lacy. I decided a baby would inevitably get snared up in it and it would be a thing of beauty but not cherished. 


The crochet morphed into a summer weight cowl/neck thingy instead.


I had couple of balls of macrame yarn and a pattern from 2019 when we last went to Wonderwool so I made my bestie a macrame pot hanger. I  grew on some spider plant cuttings;she absolutely loved it. It was impressive that I could find one A4 piece of paper after moving house and reshuffling my studio a couple of times since last using it. It was in a magazine folder called 'Crochet'. Just saying.


If I see this company again at Wondewool this year I will buy more of their kits because they were great. The Hobbycraft yarn was given to me later and I carried on making hangers after the kits had ran out.


My sample piece of double sided knitting was a success. At first I found it slow going having two balls of yarn on the go but I got into the rhythm of it. One side is variegated and the other is plain. I am building up to a colourwork/reversible headband as a Christmas gift for my flower grower pal.


I am also making some progress on my huge chunky throw. I still have an aching arm but I manage a couple of rows a night then put it down. This is particularly useful to get finished because both the yarn for it and the blanket itself is really bulky and takes up a lot of space. 


My mum is also beating the same drum. She has finished this moon phase cardigan and is knitting up a few baby cardigans to empty her basket for the big day. (She didn't want her face on the photo!) Simply admire her cardigan and her will to learn a new technique. She wanted a better finish on the button band and learnt to make an I-cord. It really makes it look professional.


Anyway, I haven't caught up with much blogging of late because we are lambing and time just runs away. But today, I am going to visit you all for a catch up. 

Thanks for dropping by. Jo x

10 comments:

  1. Oh my, the moon phase cardigan is divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks she is a brilliant knitter with fabulous tension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the moon cardigan, it looks amazing. I admire your will and determination to quickly use your yarn and fabric up. After giving lots away, I have a boxful under the bed, a drawer unit full and an ottoman with all sorts in. That includes patterns and equipment. Realistically I only want the ottoman full but that is a tall order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lambing, how absolutely brilliant, I hope it's going well. Your mum's moon phase cardigan is absolutely brilliant, I love everything about it - the main colour, the moon phases, the variegation and the beautiful finish. I also love that you are using up all of your yarn before going to the wool festival. I hope you have a lovely day there. I am going to look at your link just in case it is near here... CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That moon phase cardigan! Absolutely stunning. I am not good at using up stash... as you know! I now only buy for a specific project, to be more frugal. Did you use a pattern for the double sided knitting headband? It looks fab and I am looking for a challenge (and something to keep my ears warm next winter). Have a lovely week xx

    P.S. The tulips are growing, not long now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the moon phase cardigan and the headband. I always feel inspired by all your craft projects and love reading your blog. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I'm new here. I've just spent the last few days reading back over this entire blog. Watching your girls shrink down to littles was endearing. Your dimples are magical
    I have bookmarked quite a few inspiring ideas
    The main take aways tho - Use it ALLup!
    And take the plunge and cut that fabric
    Thank you - I needed somebody else's projects, stories and chickens to remind me how to love my own

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have always been the queen of using up the crafting scraps Jo. Enjoy the show and I hope you bring back lots of goodies :)
    Your mum has done a great job with her cardigan too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cardigan! I have yet to learn an i-cord. Here, it looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so jealous of you going to Wonderwool, its just a bit too far away for me!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete