Wednesday 2 December 2020

Cosy Carbeth Cardigan

Quietly, I have been knitting the Carbeth cardigan by Kate Davies. I really liked the shaping on the shoulders and I always knit jumpers so I thought it was time for something different. 


It feels more like a jacket because it is so warm and cosy.


I have been looking for the right kind of chunky yarn to make it with for ages but in the end after a yarn search on ravelry I noticed that lots of people had used Drops Lima ran double(65% wool and 35% alpaca). I liked the ones I saw made in Drops then found someone who looked about the same size as me to copy their yardage for placing a yarn order.

The cardigan used 15 balls of Sea Green which was absolutely spot on. I really wanted the rusty orange colour but it was sold out. I did make it longer than stated as it was a bit too cropped for me; I may possibly have gone a bit too long now but that's OK.


 Now that we are in a second lockdown I decided to use wooden buttons because this was the sort of colour which made online button shopping impossible - blue or green? teal or turquoise? 


After finishing it, it was quite a tight, dense, heavy article. It needed blocking to make it bloom.


A short soak in the sink with warm water but little agitation did the trick.

The joy of underfloor heating means that I can spread out a towel on the office floor and shape the garment. It still took ages to dry.

 

The back has the same triangle detail as the front which shapes a faux raglan seam and the sleeves are knit in the round. It is knit from the bottom up and the neckband is folded over and sewn down to give it some stability.

I can safely say I am super warm. Thanks for stopping by. Time for some Christmas knitting now I think. Jo xxx

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely love it - colour, shape, detailing, the lot. And the length is perfect. Got to keep the back warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I like the Carbeth cardi too. Love everything about yours. Nice length too. Kate can wear very cropped designs as she is super slim. The rest of us just adapt. But that is how it should be, isn't it ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this colour on you Jo and perfect timing for a super cosy knit. It's freezing here. Thank you for the wonderfully kind comment you left me.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo the sweater is gorgeous, such a lovely color with such wonderful detail. You look wonderful in it. Stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the process of making your beautiful sweater, Jo. You encourage me to learn! xx

    ReplyDelete