Friday 14 August 2015

Cutting out

I have had a a hard mothering week. Short version: Little M shut her thumb in the back door on Sunday, A&E at two hospitals, open thumb fracture, flipped thumb nail etc. Culminating in surgery yesterday to make a template of her thumb nail and... reinsert it into the nail bed. It is indeed as gory as it sounds. So crafting has been low on the agenda. I was actually grateful to go to work on Tuesday to eat my dinner uninterrupted and have a wee on my own!

Annywayyy....I still have posts written from last week when we got back from holiday so I am tripping those out this week. Hence girls playing in dollhouses without injury to themselves on Wednesday!

Crafting News from last week:I bought a Clover quilting template set on holiday. I was in a dinky haberdashery in Louth and I didn't want to purchase anymore fabric, although it was all fabulous, my mind thought of the patchwork box that was already overflowing at home.



I started cutting out... I did't know what it was going to be. I like that feeling, the absolute randomness of just starting something with no outcome, it is so liberating to me and my creative brain.

I tipped out the scraps box:



Set up under the lamp with a cuppa:



Then got cutting from the tiniest pieces:



Finally, I put all the pretty little slivers in the bin:




So satisfying. 



I made 8 sets of 8 diamonds and 8 sets of 8 triangles.


I also filled a jar with the smallest triangles and squares. 



I wonder where it will all lead to? 
What it will be? and how long it will take?

Thanks for stopping by and especially for all your dollhouse memories, they made me smile after an exhausting day at the hospital.
Jo xxx

19 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness i hope little m has a speedy recovery. I love your scraps quilting pattern,it looks so colourful! And nice to do something a bit different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish your daughter well - sounds awful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Little M and poor you too! I hope that she will be alright and all mended very soon. Big hugs to you all. Your patch pieces are lovely, cannot wait to see more of them. I hope that the weekend will be less stressful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blimey, this sounds horrific. I hope Little M is recovering well. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your daughter will soon be feeling better - that's a nasty injury - as a complete learner where patchwork is concerned, will you hand sew those pieces together or use a sewing machine? The reason I ask is that, there are an awful lot of points there and I tried machining some triangles together last weekend and my points of the triangles did not meet up at all! It seems I have a lot to learn and practise at xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I hope she is feeling better and recovering real soon, what a nightmare. Hope you are OK too, sending you a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, hope your wee one is feeling better soon, that all sounds a little traumatic. I love the pictures of the scrap quilt, I really want to make one too but I'm not sure where to start. I like the look of your plastic templates, they look like they would make things easier

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness ~ how traumatic for Little M and yourself. But what a great story she will have about her thumbnail. Curiously, what do they make the new thumbnail from? It might need a special nail polish for a special thumb nail Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh poor Little M! Wishing her a very speedy recovery. Love your patchwork pieces and looking forward to seeing what you make with them.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor girl. I ripped a toe nail in half a few years ago and had to go through some very painful stuff so she has my sympathy The patchwork looks great, I love a stack of colour. My EPP is a winter thing and I have my papers and the fabric is ready to cut, probably end of September.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about brave little M's misfortune but hope that everyone is feeling better now.Jackie and Phil

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope Little M is feeling better, the poor dear. How awful for you.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness! A stressful and painful time for you all! One of those 'heart in your mouth' happenings. Wishing your daughter well and you a large glass of your favourite.
    If all your fabric diamonds look as good as that top set, whatever you make is going to be amazing. Are you planning a hand stitch or machine stitch project?

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I read, memories of my kid's A&E visits came back to haunt me ☺I hope your daughter is feeling tons better and that you feel more relaxed too. Carry on crafting ~ a relaxed mommy is a relaxed household!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope your little one is all better soon. Poor thing. It couldn't have been easy on any of you. I'm glad you've been able to relax and enjoy yourself. Cutting out is one of my favorite things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bless your little ones heart and thumb of course. Not easy being a Mum is it? So much to worry and take care of. Glad she is on the mend and you got to have some fabric fun.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, sorry about your kid's injury. I know how bad it is. Two years back my daughter got her thumb into the car door. It was horrible but not a fracture. It took 6 months for the nail to get blackened and fall off , then a new one came. Luckily, it was left hand so she could continue writing.
    Your diamonds are very colorful:) I have some scrap fabric too but just not so confident about sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw my daughter had a very similar injury earlier this year. Two nails sewn back on, fracture and then later on 3 nails all dropped off. Hope your daughter makes a quick recovery and isn't too uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope your daughter will be fine soon. Poor thing!! I have been working on my scraps and cutting them into squares and then they go into their own container. Now I want to do some diamond shapes as yours look wonderful! Thanks for sharing and giving me another idea for all the scraps.

    ReplyDelete