Wednesday 27 July 2016

The real #VintagePledge

I am excited and honoured indeed to be joining an esteemed list of bloggers and makers joining in the July 2016 Vintage Pledge guest EXTRAVAGANZA. It means a lot to me because without joining the vintage pledge last year I don't think I would have improved so much as a dressmaker without the inspiration it gave me. I had been an admirer of vintage patterns because I liked the artwork but now I can truly say I am a maker of a wonderful wardrobe full of them thanks to the Vintage Pledge 2015 and 2016.



My 2016 vintage pledge this year over at Stitching Odyssey and Kestrel Makes was to try to use an unmarked vintage pattern. You know, a little challenge to myself, a little step up. 

I love this pattern and have avoided it for over two years now because it is devoid of printed pattern markings and that is a bit scary.


Now if I am going to be totally honest with you, my heart was with the shirt dress. I wanted to try the princess seams to give a shirt dress better shape for me but in reality when I got the paper pieces out...


...I got a little bit frightened about putting on a collar and button band with out any markings. I knew it would be possible but I kind of chickened out. No matter, as the other tennis dress was really beautiful too. The square neckline attracted me because I didn't have anything like that in my wardrobe. So I cracked on cutting out and marking every tiny hole.


I tacked the whole dress together. That is how I have been working recently. I have only ever made one toile in my life and that was a self drafted pattern. Tacking a whole outfit works for me because I have made so much now that I have a good idea of what I need to alter when I cut right at the start.



I made a few changes. If you are a long time reader of my blog you will not be surprised to know it was too long in the body. This is just what happens on me and why I make my own clothes.



I also made it longer because I was not going to be playing tennis in it even with those big ball pockets stood on a tennis court! Lengthening was a strange phenomenon because I usually have to shorten things.



The fabric is a thick viscose with a lovely drape purchased from the stitching show last year at the NEC in Birmingham. The grand purchase total being £12.00. At the end I added on the ric rac because I am a sucker for the stuff and the buttons are shown as on the pattern. I added three purely because there were three in the packet.




Will I be tackling another unmarked pattern? I wouldn't specifically hunt one down but if I really liked a pattern/design/image, it wouldn't stop me from having another go.



Do join in with the pledge if you haven't already - it could be something as simple as a skirt to get you going or you could end up like me and make nearly all of your clothes from Vintage patterns by then end of the challenge.  My motivation to sew more generally definitely started with the Vintage Pledge back in 2015. It really has been an inspiration.



We are off on holiday for a week now to Portugal. Our first flying holiday as a family, the children are excited, I am looking forward to some sunshine and this dress is going into my suitcase.

Jo xxx

19 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic. I love the navy polka dots and the additional of the ric-rac works really well. Your plimsols add a summery / sporty touch to your outfit. Carry on sewing these lovely vintage garments as i really enjoy reading about your adventures.
    I have a few vintage patterns but not yet plucked up the courage to sew with them as the sizings are totally different! I have a few ones I keep meaning to make - perhaps I should just go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading about how to use vintage patterns, I think it was on Tilly and the buttons blog. I can't find it right now but it may be worth looking. Otherwise there were a couple of posts here http://luckylucille.com/2013/09/using-non-printed-vintage-patterns-the-basics/ and
    http://luckylucille.com/2013/02/working-with-non-printed-vintage-patterns/ which I don't know will be of any help.

    Anyway, your dress turned out so pretty. I love the trimmings you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabric you chose and you made such a great dress! Really delighted you have felt so inspired by the Pledge too x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fantastic. Love the dots, styling and whole look of this-you wear vintage style so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo I really like that dress it's fabulous. It goes so well with that mustard cardigan as well. Where did you take the photo's? Have a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even know you could get patterns with no markings - it sounds scary! Your dress looks wonderful and perfect for any holiday - have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ones from the early 1950's are pre-marking so watch out!

      Delete
  7. Oh Jo it is beautiful xxx I love the colour on you too. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jo it is beautiful xxx I love the colour on you too. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just amazing Jo! Enjoy your holidays in the sun. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely dress!! Enjoy your vacation:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jo you look adorable, you will make another using a non marked pattern because you have made this one! I know it...huge congrats its a fab make....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant result Jo. You know what I'm going to say now - that I remember my mum cycling off to play tennis in her homemade white tennis dress! It is one of my most vivid memories of her - well that and her homemade Horrockses shirt dresses! Have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gorgeous, I love how you went down to the tennis courts for a photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, I love spots and that pattern is just the right one to show them off. you did a wonderful job. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's just gorgeous. That fabric is perfection and goes so well with the pattern, and it's also a really good fit. Very flattering. Also - pockets on dress, I love them. Always a winner. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an absolutely gorgeous dress. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The square neck looks perfect to me...and overall the dress is another success that I hope you enjoy wearing! xx

    ReplyDelete