Tuesday 31 August 2021

Young Stitchers

Today I would like to show you some needlework from my young stitchers. It was our village produce show over the summer bank holiday weekend and there was a handicraft class. I put in a crocheted blanket and came third but I was pipped to the post by my youngest and her demon stitchery who came second. The first prize went to a beautiful fair isle knitted hat with the most complex pattern.

They both picked up some embroidery this past week that they had started a while back and used the show as a bit of a finishing target.

Aren't they fabulous? They also do this thing that I have in no way modelled where they won't start a new thing until they have finished the last! Little M completed a cactus cross stitch but chose one of her hoops from earlier in the year to enter.


She is back on a new embroidery now...

Big girl has started an epic elephant cross stitch which will be wonderful. Look at her little magnetic needle minder, isn't it fab? Both the cross stitch kits and the magnets were sent as much appreciated gifts from their auntie.


We are getting quite a gallery above the inglenook of their endeavors. All of these were completed by the girls except the big one on the easel which is mine from about 23 years ago. 


In the end I won show champion because I entered loads of our veg, fruit, jam and baking. It was all a bit of beginners luck, that and I entered nearly everything which seemed to be a good strategy!

Our last week before the new school year starts which will be a big one for youngest as she starts secondary school. All very exciting... Jo xx

9 comments:

  1. Your girls are so talented Jo, must be in their DNA. The elephant looks like a fantastic project as well. Good luck for the new school year girls x
    Lots of cheering for the show champion too xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo to you all!!! Your beautiful stitching inspires me to keep stitching! And so glad your produce rewarded your efforts as well, Jo! Thanks for sharing the good news! May the new school year bring the girls and your family much joy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit I dislike competition in crafting and art. Apples or oranges? Goes for cooking and sewing shows too - many get kicked out because they have a bad day and so we miss out on seeing what they actually can do, which is frustrating.

    I just prefer show and tell as personal preference. That being said, very well done to all of you! I think both your children have spectacular skills and all the embroidery, which I have a soft spot for, is fabulous and beautifully stitched. You have done so well at passing your many skills down to them and engendering such an interest in both of your daughters.

    Your own work is always excellent and interesting to see and read about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. In essence it was such a small show in such a small hamlet that it was essentially show and tell with our own community. x

      Delete
  4. Wow, their sewing is absolutely brilliant, and I love that they are finishers too, that's a really valuable skill. The magnets are genius, why have I never heard of them before?! Oh, and well done you on show champion, that's quite an achievement. Village shows are brilliant aren't they, I always love to see what people have made and grown. There was one near here on Saturday that I would have loved to go to, but I was watching cricket. Maybe next year. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your girls are just amazing!! Mad skills!!! I of lots of cross stitch but find it heard to embroider neatly and not make it look like a five year old did it, so I am super impressed by their beautiful work. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely blog. Those girls are so clever and well done you on your show cup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How amazing they are both so talented! They had a good teacher. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done for Best in Show, you are being very modest. Love a bit of stitching, you are reminding I must get my hoops on the wall. Great work by all. CN x

    ReplyDelete