Wednesday 8 September 2021

All done #34 Colour Lab Yarn

 Anyone knitting? This is the post where I show you how I have used up a craft material to the very end. I have reached this heady position 34 times since writing these posts - hence All Done #34

 I had a bit of a break over summer while I was gardening a lot but enjoyed making the owl sweater on the odd few rainy days but then I fancied some quick projects for late summer.


There were two balls a grey left from my crochet blanket. I made this newborn cardigan from a vintage pattern and really enjoyed making it for my pregnant friend.


As ever, I just about made it yarnwise watching the yarn wind down on the last sleeve. One of my most satisfying All done moments.


The chain effect was really easy to do but so effective for both boy and girl cardigans I thought.

 

I would also like to try the one on the top another day in a gender neutral colour because I think it is a lovely design on the front.


Before I made the cardigan I made this little vest top called Like Sleeves. I forget how many of these I have made now but it is an easy no- brainer make which can be lengthened to make a tunic dress or can be made short like this one. All done Colour Lab DK. Thank you for being so kind to me.


Next I spotted this amazingly soft bamboo yarn in a sale bin the other day and bought two. I wanted to make a little girl sweater for my pregnant friend's second girl. I made one for Heidi when she was small but it was a sublime cashmerino yarn, then she wore it for one day and I shrunk it! This yarn has more favourable washing temperatures. I also remember that Heidi's curled up at the front and on the cuffs so on this one I added four rows of rib which worked a treat.


I remember how much I liked knitting it all over again. Repeating my usual self induced stress, I was running short of yarn. I just made it. I knit this on bamboo needles which I seem to get a better tension on than metal ones. It is a bit large for said girl but I will keep it for her birthday next year. Another satisfying make without leftovers.


Autumn Knitting plans.

Anyway enough of this selfless knitting, back to me. I saw this rather lovely tank in The Knitter this month and bought a soft rose cotton yarn to make one for myself. I don't know if I will wear it as the photo or over a white shirt but I am enjoying a few rows a night so as not to make mistakes on the cables which are made up with a 16 row set pattern. I have marked each set of 15 stitches with markers too to make sure the cable repeats are correct. There is a lot of meticulous crossing off with a pen to make sure I don't go wrong because it is virtually impossible to rip this back part way and know what row you are on.

This top should take me to my Christmas knitting frenzy which I do every year. I have a few ideas up my sleeve for presents.

Thanks for dropping in. Jo xx

14 comments:

  1. Yes I’m still knitting. Hand better now so can pick up the needles again. At present have the 2nd sock to finish of a pair and have just started a colour work cowl. Bit adventurous for me but the beret worked out fine so am giving it a go. Love the rose colour on your tank and the little blue jumper top is so pretty. Love it when the yarn all uses up but it’s always a bit scary when you’re so close to the end of the ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was 'between knits' and getting twitchy until I saw this post. I've just bought the 'Like Sleeves' pattern and am off to have a rummage through the stash for a suitable yarn. I'm seeing my friend with her 3 month old baby next week and this will be the perfect little autumn tunic/tank for her. You are definitely on a knitting roll at the moment following the fabulous Owls jumper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that will be a lovely surprise it is a satifying quick knit.

      Delete
  3. Very impressed with all your makes! the little blue sailor cardy has my heart, too adorable.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've lost my knitting motivation.... need to look for it in the general mess that is my work room! Your baby makes are super cute. I need a baby in my life to knit for xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed by how well you did with finishing the knitted items with just a small amount of yarn left. I realised I hadn't got enough for one baby cardigan that I had nearly finished, so on the buttonhole border I did something a bit funky with a contrasting yarn. Have you ever run out completely? I really like the newborn cardigan from the vintage pattern, very striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah I have ran out completely on more than one occasion!! I always seem to find a solution a bit like yours.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous little gifts, your friend will love them. I like the the top for you but I too would wear something under it, I can't get on with knitted things on bare skin. Have a good week. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am OK with cotton/linen mix yarn but not any other. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, they are adorable! I love 'little person' knitting. I'm currently working on the second sleeve for Lily's jumper but it's taking longer than I anticipated, as she's not so little anymore! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see all your sweet baby makes using up all those small oddments of wool right down to the very end. So satisfying and lovely for your pregnant friend to receive. Good luck with the cabling. I always write rows down on paper and use markers to check where I am in the pattern. I agree it is almost .. no completely impossible to go back after a mistake. Usually ends in a hissy fit here and hubby making himself scarce for a while. I'm sure you will be fine though x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your baby knits are so cute Jo! And I love the look of the top you're making for yourself - it's such a pretty colour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those knits are so cute, I think grey is a gender neutral colour.

    ReplyDelete