Wednesday 11 August 2021

August...ing

 August...ing, in no particular order...


Visiting - Croft Castle and Hay-on-wye for some outdoor holiday days out. My big girl bought an old gardening book in Hay with beautiful pen illustrations - she was inspired by the garden at Croft.


Crafting - a new tribal belly dance bra by pulling apart my old one (which was too small!) and adding to it with things I found when tidying up.


Dancing - for our first time out in 18 months. We were a bit nervous and did smile in parts of the dance! Lots of people enjoyed the performance as we joined in with a charity 'busk' in Shrewsbury.


Picking - some good veg. I had very low expectations for these ugly tomatoes but boy, were they tasty and sweet when dressed up with a sharp knife.




Celebrating - my big girl's birthday with a red velvet loaf cake decorated with a random selection of things I found in the kitchen drawer! It was deliciously moist.


Enjoying - a birthday trip to the safari park. I second guessed other people's parenting style which I thought would involve the sentence: "We can go on the rides later if you are good." and we went to the rides in the morning. Bingo! no queues so the girls hopped from ride to ride. It was so busy there in the late afternoon.



Eating - more extravagant breakfasts while the girls are on summer hols.


Loving - my new gladioli named espresso. It is so rich and velvety.


Buying - a new sewing chair: comfy, wheely and spinny.


Choosing - some wonderful sweatshirt fabric. Sometimes I just want to choose what I want from the Minerva website rather than being limited to the fabrics I use for my job. I couldn't resist this. I am thinking ahead to some Autumn sewing.


Dyeing - My faded jeans with Rit. Success.



Using - these seven vintage buttons that have been in my jar for about four years waiting for the perfect partner. Aren't they genius? They screw in! I have used them on a dress called the Sorrel dress by Jennifer Lauren. The fabric is from here.



Cooking - with my family. Still one of our greatest joys in family life is eating together every evening. 


Changing - landscape. The view is changing from vibrant green to a harvested spent summer. 


Thanks for calling in. I am popping over to see your news now. Jo x

7 comments:

  1. Hay is fantastic isn't it, I always love a day out there. Your new dress is gorgeous, I really like the cut, beautifully shaped around the waist. And yes, genius buttons. I had no idea you did belly dancing, you look fabulous! Lovely colour on that gladioli, those very dark plummy reds are pretty much my favourite flower colour. My orange sweet peas never did materialise, but there was a rather fetching pink instead. Also an odd lemony cream colour with mauve edging which is growing on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn those sweet peas! It is a very comfy dress. x

      Delete
  2. This post is so full of joy. I especially love the dress.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so wonderful Jo. Enjoy the rest of August.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy that you are back to belly dancing. Such a long wait for it. I always wondered about Rit dye, never used it but I will now (provided I can do it in the machine). You know, I think I have the Sorrell dress in a file folder somewhere. It looks fab and those buttons are fun, never seen anything like it. I like family dinners, too. Not the cooking part but the sitting down together part. With Annie leaving shortly, the dinner dynamics will change. Bit anxious because neither of the boys are talkers. Have a lovely weekend xx

    P.S. I took some photographs of recent makes, taking your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed exploring your August ings (Happy Birthday to your eldest!) and you enlightened me ((thanks)) about screw on buttons! ((xx))

    ReplyDelete