Monday 28 June 2021

I was as intrigued as you...

Thank you for all the lovely comments about my new granny square blanket. There was a lot of interest piqued by the photo at the end showing some jester DK yarn with pom poms attached. I was as intrigued as you about what these two 50p skeins would turn out to be. 


I knew they would be some kind of neck attire and thought that crochet would enable me to manipulate the pom poms more easily than knitting so I just sat down and started crocheting.

I made a chain length long enough to go over my head and joined it in a ring. Then I chained three stitches, missed two chains from the previous row and did a double crochet to hold it in the next stitch. By repeating this, I got a kind of super fast chain mail and the pom poms appeared randomly. To make sure that they did not get bunched up, I then joined the second skein to the bottom and crocheted in the other direction hence the join you can see in the middle.

The stretch of the fabric is good because when the...(let's call it a snood) snood gets worn it compresses down and then you can stretch it back out into shape again.

The only disappointing element to the yarn is that it is acrylic and in being so the hue of red is very acrylic too. You know, the kind of 1970's boys jumper red that you see in photo albums while all the adults wear various shades of brown.

Luckily, it goes fabulously well with my £10 Boden charity shop coat find so I am super pleased.

So there you are, that is what it became: a £1 snood to wear with a £10 coat and I feel a million dollars about it!

Thanks for reading. Jo x

13 comments:

  1. Dear Jo
    The snood looks great and the pompoms work a treat! No wonder you feel a million dollars with the snood and coat - super combo!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snood looks amazing, such a fun make. Love the coat, what a great find! Makes for a great outift together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have coat and snood envy! Have a lovely week xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Utterly fabulous. I do love a good bargain too. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Kay - utterly fabulous! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know which I like more - the coat or the snood - but you're right, it's as if they were made for each other. The 70's photo reference point (boy in red jumper, adults in various shades of brown) made me laugh out loud - it's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bargain yarn turns into fun pom pom snood. It looks fab on you Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it looks great and I really like the red colour. Great idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks gorgeous...enjoy wearing 💕

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look like a million dollars with it! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A bargain and a stylish bargain it is too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have wondered about that yarn in the past. Looks amazing, and who doesn't like apom pom? CN x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting yarn used so cleverly, Jo! Thanks for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete