Friday 5 February 2021

A LOT of sewing!

 We are doing a massive amount of sewing at the moment. Some of it needed and some of it just to pass the time wholesomely in lockdown. The girls crack on with their school work in the mornings, we have lunch and then we head out for a dog walk/fresh air/exercise followed by a few hours in the studio becoming makers of all things.


All three of us continue to sew strips together 
for a collaboration quilt topper.

I did a bit of a fabric audit:two Seasalt sale pieces from 2019, some cotton with strawberries on from 2020, the last piece of cactus jersey and the last of my stretch denim. These are my best pieces.

My new years resolution to learn to use my ruffler foot will be spurred on greatly if I make something that actually needs ruffles. I love this skirt pattern and have started to make a collection of fabrics ready to have a go. It has a frilled hem and pockets.


 I cut out and bagged up a jersey T-shirt dress and a cord pinafore for more sewing days ahead.

 


A very small piece of fabric can be used to make this quick top. It is a NEWLOOK pattern that I discovered last year and was excited to use it again with this very last small piece of georgette. 

 

Meg got a t-shirt with snaps on the shoulders, she loves it because she loves growing cactus.


I enjoyed making this A-line lined skirt from the last of the woven boucle from my friend Michelle. It was from a vintage pattern and if the truth be told, I thought of it as a bit of toile for another fabric but as is always the way - it turned out to be perfect!


I bought some labels; this sentiment was specifically bought as a label for my new Eden coat. I like it but I know that is isn't everyone's cup of tea.


Lately, I have tried out a few new fabric suppliers in the January sales. Will keep you posted of my purchases.


Andy bought me some pattern weights for my birthday in January so I will start another cutting session tomorrow.




Big girl enjoyed some new experiences with designing her own pattern; going on the overlocker; finding out how to make a half square triangle and using a rotary cutter. All firsts for her this week.


This strange looking fleece is again a toile to try out the sizing on a free pattern download. It says age 9-10 for the largest size but it was plenty big enough for Meg. I didn't want to use my good fabric yet so I made cuffs from a pair of kids ribbed tights - they were a triumph. The tights still had the tags on but seemed to have missed the right season for the right sized legs on both girls! 


Anyway, now she loves this one so I will wait until I have a piece of sweatshirt fabric to have another go. I told you there was a lot of sewing! A random collection of how we have been staying busy.


It is my way of saying stay safe. May your bobbins always be full.
 Jo xxxx

9 comments:

  1. I just love these posts, and I can't even sew! They are full of creativity, passion and you. And well done to your girls, especially Big Girl. She's a star. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have been busy. And I love the routine of your days, you have the balance just right I think. It all seems a bit work-heavy here at the moment. I would love an afternoon to sit and sew. The cactus fabric is fantastic and I love the top you made yourself as well. And your daughter's cushion. Well, all of it in fact. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The afternoons sound perfect. Love that you are passing your love of sewing on. CN x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like my kind of day. A wonderful way to spend quality time together and be productive at the same time. Big girl really has a talent, the cushion is a triumph. Some beautiful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your afternoons look wonderful. Sewing to keep some sanity and spending some quality time together. Big girl is doing some amazing sewing herself. You must be very proud of both your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you lucky woman! I dream of sewing lots but only have the energy for mindless knitting. I really love your orange fabric, also the green and white on top of it. I am already looking forward to seeing what your magic will turn it into. Isn't the cactus top cute? And that half triangle cushion, a thing of beauty. Have a wonderful weekend and new week xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, sewing afternoons, such bliss. And with your two gorgeous girls who are so creative. Love all the wonderful projects you have made. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all your makes, Jo, but mostly I love that you work on them together. How wonderful to spend this special time and teach the girls your amazing skills.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. All such lovely makes! I really like the cactus t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete