Friday 12 February 2021

February...ing

Feeling - I am being a bit of a one way blogger at the moment but the girls are on the PC and the laptop in the day doing home-school so it is hard for me to totally engage with you folks like I normally do. Please know that I am reading your blogs on my phone but I always make a mess of commenting with such a small keypad so have taken to just digesting your news. The main theme seems to be that we are all finding winter lockdown a lot harder than a summer one but hang in there and do your best you stoic people. Here is what we have been up to and I hope it brings you some joy even if you can't actually eat a piece of that cake!


Baking - Chocolate orange loaf cake. Meg is a whizz at this gorgeous cake. 


Eating - Saturday soup with parsnip bread. I love this bread come scone which is so quick to make, the fact that everyone loves it is a complete bonus.


Continuing - to sew quilt strips together. It will soon be time to decide on some kind of overall design.

Watching - Ghosts on BBC. I watched the Christmas special in  December and was immediately drawn into the historical, funny characters so I went back to episode 1; I had the whole family hooked. We were treating it like an expensive box of chocolates and watched one episode each evening.



Bottling - a pear and apple wine I started before Christmas. This is the school fruit that was going to be binned at the end of term. I made a gallon of wine which has cleared nicely.


Experimenting - with making ricotta cheese. It was delicious. The by product, whey, made a few good batches of breakfast waffles too.


Trying - my first ever batch (well I think it is, I can't rightly remember) of lemon curd and it was out of this world. So much better than a sweet tasteless bought one. This sure does pack a citrus punch.



Watching - the small girl get really engrossed in quilling. She made a stunning design.


Finding - more holes appearing in my jeans. When I held them up to the light I could see the next weak areas to go enabling me to make lots of patches before the rips appeared. I did the front ones this month and will work on the back next month.




Finding - a knitting project to enjoy.


Walking and climbing - in our local area. Small girl would have been on her outdoor adventure week with school but it has been cancelled so we have been trying to do some outdoor adventure things with her.



Looking - for little pockets of snowdrops on our dog walks.


Growing - some house plant cuttings very successfully.


Leaving - you with a contented dog picture. He is loving having the daytime company of the girls at home.


Feeling - lucky to be safe at home.

Jo xxxxx

10 comments:

  1. Love that last photo. Bertie occasionally finds having three boys at home a bit exhausting. He does love a peaceful nap. I adore your jeans, they're absolutely brilliant. The cake is fabulous and lemon curd is one of my favourite things ever. Utterly delicious. Hope you have a good weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghosts are a favourite in my house too, I really like the people in the plague pit. Yours jeans are beautiful. CN x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love home made lemon curd, I first made it years ago and have never looked back. The recipe I use makes it in the microwave and is so easy, I have never had a bad batch. In fact it is something I often make up in pretty jars as presents. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. You live in a beautiful place, nice you can go for walks there. Great baking and quilting by your clever daughters. Love the jeans, quirky patches and kantha style stitching. I haven’t made lemon curd for years - perhaps I should try again, goodness knows I have enough jars I can use!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might be interested to look at another Jo’s blog. This Jo lives in Tasmania, her blog is called All the Blue Day. Take a look at her post on Oct 04, 2019 entitled “Sewing Circle, Visible Mending” where she’s mending using a similar idea to you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, it was a delightful diversion to mundane life. x

      Delete
  6. I need to do a bit of patching to my jeans. Yours look lovely. Well done on the lemon curd, homemade is so much better; never lasts long in this house. We’re having an orange curd tart for lunch today. Have a good week. B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jack loves his humans being at home all the time, too. So many lovely things going on. It is a shame that your little one is missing out on the outdoor school week but you found a really beautiful spot to make up for it. Alistair was most lucky, his outdoor week happened just before schools closed, I collected him from the bus and that was that. We have lots to look forward to I think, it is only a matter of time. Happy knitting, sewing, mending, walking and being together x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your patched jeans, Jo, such a fun makeover. I actually love everything you've posted, you always get so much done, I'm in awe.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter has made a lovely quilling project. It made me think Spring is on the way.
    Lemon curd sounds like a great idea, might try that after pancake day. Take care x

    ReplyDelete