Thursday 14 January 2021

Random QI

Today is a slightly unusual topic but Quite Interesting for a blog post. A friend of Andy's is a metal detector fan and asked if he could have a few afternoons in our fields. He turned up some pretty amazing stuff which we keep in a jar called the 'Kenley hoard' Put your tongue in your cheek when you read that label! 

Let's play a game of spot the artefact. Can you see a....?

 a thimble
a hallmarked silver brooch from the 1850's
a picture frame or pocket watch surround
a belt buckle
a hallmarked silver spoon
a captains naval badge
a flower pin badge or hat pin
a cider key
a musket ball
buttons
coins from 1852 and 1865

The musket ball top right is rather sinister to hold because it is so heavy and the guy said they weren't used to shoot animals so that one has a hidden story to tell.

I had not heard of cider keys but apparently some farm labourers were paid in barrels of cider which they could either drink or sell on. Those little round keys, centre bottom right were used to un tap the barrel.

I am not aware of anyone from my family tree in the Navy so the captains badge is a mystery too.

Anyway, just a little peek for you. 
Quite Interesting don't you think?

9 comments:

  1. Interesting indeed, some great finds and very much part of social history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dad is a retired farmer and detectorist. I used to detect with him when I was a little girl. I am still fascinated with his finds, so many things dropped. He lives in a Civil War area and he too, finds musket balls. My favourite find of his is a cannon ball, musket ball with attitude. Modern detectors are really good..........I see a new hobby coming. CNx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is quite a collection of interesting things. You always imagine people doing that for hours and never finding anything I bet Andy's friend was pleased with such a result. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. In 2020 we rented dvd's of the series Detectorists, which we realy enjoyed. My husband (we are in Canada) has a metal detector. In St. Albans where I lived growing up my mother's garden often yielded some interesting finds. I enjoy your blog - hearing about your life and your move. I'm a knitter, so like checking in to see your knitting projects. Also, I enjoy the cooking especially the cakes - it often prompts me to try something new, which in lockdown is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting Jo!
    A nice collection of finds. A really interesting insight into a little bit of history!
    I used to have some coins in my money box when I was a kid that looked similar, although mine were probably 1930’s.
    Hugs,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A musket ball! What an amazing array of things. The land must have seen quite a few interesting scenes. I fear the Jones Hoard wouldn't be in same league. Mostly those stickers from fruit that have ended up in the compost, bits of clay pipe and something furry in a bin bag that the previous owners must have had something to do with. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting indeed! How lovely to get a glimpse of the people who trod those fields before you. When we dug over our garden we found a broken Coalbrookdale cooking pot, five pieces of an encaustic tile, an old Pond's cold cream jar and a dog bone. That was it. Your hoard is much better. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much fun! I love all the history that the girls can learn about. Your January post was so fun to read, so many wonderful projects and beautiful things to see. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool! My parents' old house had various bits of once junk dumped at the end of the garden, & dad put the old (non-valuable) coins in a pattern when he laid concrete for the new paths & walls.

    ReplyDelete