Sunday 17 January 2021

Eden Raincoat

 Hurrah! I finished the Eden Coat by Tilly and the Buttons which I started making at the start of January. I won't give you a blow by blow account here but suffice to say it is a thing of beauty. Enjoy the pictures from our back garden.













This coat malarky is an investment in time and money but I thought in lockdown, what else should I spend my time doing? The pattern is only available as a digital download and I couldn't face sticking together a mahoosive amount of A4 paper, not when we need the paper and ink supplies for home-schooling so I tried something new. I emailed the A0 copysheets to a pattern printer called sew pattern printing that I saw on facebook. I had them sent through the door. I highly recommend this(£2 an A0 sheet)as a way to print out large or complex patterns.

The waterproof fabric is from flamingo fabrics this one is called Gustav Klimt. I cut a size 5 from the size chart. If I am honest, I had already over reached myself budget wise with the pattern and outer fabric so I simply used up a piece of Ponte Roma for the hood and body lining and a piece of skirt lining for the sleeves to make them slippy, both which I already had. The only mod I made was to lengthen the sleeves and add a piece of ponte roma to the end of the sleeve lining. In the words of the late great Victoria wood: I like something to wipe my nose on!

This is the full features version with storm flaps, zip and poppers and pleated pockets but you could try a simpler version to gain confidence.

It is a triumph and one of the best things I have ever made. A 'home and dry' start to my 2021 crafting resolutions. 

Thanks for dropping by. Stay Safe, and dry wherever you are. Jo x

10 comments:

  1. It is indeed a thing of beauty, well done you, you've made a lovely job of it and the fabric is gorgeous. All you need now is some rain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the outer material! It is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look adorable in it, it is just perfect. well done. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, you are so clever! Where did you learn to sew? Such an accomplishment to have made this staple for your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is one impressive coat, you look adorable in it. You are one talented lady. Take care, it is easier to stay safe here than it is to stay dry...lol!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The coat is fantastic, a real winner. You should be rightly dead chuffed with yourself x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That coat is amazing well done you! I have just been over looking at those fabrics then I had to have a word with myself as there is fabric upstairs that needs attention. x

    ReplyDelete