Monday 25 May 2020

Want, Need and Use Up

My sewing seems to be falling into three main categories at the moment. Things I want because I love them; things I need because of the time of year and projects that use up either time or fabric because I have both.





This was a wanty thing. A new Ottobre magazine arrived in the post and this top jumped out at me. I thought it would be easy but it was actually quite an involved make because of the sleeve detail. The fabric is from Sherwood Fabrics an online shop I use sometimes here.It was a remnant I bought just before lockdown.  In truth I wanted to try out the top because it also comes in a delightful dress version so a quick test of the top half was a on my radar. My alterations for the dress would be to add a little length to each shoulder seam as they fall a bit short making it a bit tight across the shoulders but for an evening out (in the future??) this is totally wearable because the fabric is so luxurious.


 



These shorts were needed. I have trashed all of my shorts with building work over the last two years and needed a nice pair - to keep as a nice pair. This fabric was given to me but I can't remember who by, shout out if it was you! The pattern is by Simple Sew called the Shannon collection. I have made the trousers (which are now too small) but I liked the hip/waist fit on them so I cut them a smidge larger for these shorts. I left off the sailor buttons and love the feel of them - proper mum shorts. I had to use some navy sheeting left over from backing a quilt to make the pocket bags and the waistband lining but it looks pretty intentional and not hashed together. 


To kill an afternoon of time I chose The Sailor Top by Fancy Tiger crafts which is a favourite pattern in my collection. Again, it is not as easy as it looks with all that gathering but this is my third one so I knew it would provide a couple of hours enjoyment in my sewing hidey-hole. The fabric is from Liberty and I have been saving it a for a long time, maybe I was waiting for a pandemic lockdown before I felt I could use it! There is a contrast collar for a reason. I managed to cut out two pairs of sleeve facings instead of one pair then didn't have enough fabric to cut out the neck pieces. Anyways... It is a lovely top and really comfortable so no dramas.




Finally, just to use up the fabric, I made a Scout Tee which is always a winner. I have a long sleeved and a short sleeved blouse now in this fabric so I can enjoy this dobby cotton for 12 months of the year.

So there is a little snippet of my summer wardrobe made over the last eight weeks. I mean I could happily sew everyday but using up what I have is always a real thrill. 

Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy some sunshine. Jo xxxx

9 comments:

  1. I love the first top, it's really lovely (especially the sleeves) but all the makes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wardrobe is getting nicer all the time Jo if that is even possible. You look wonderful in each new item. Happy sewing! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like it's been a sewing week for both of us! That green top is a really lovely shade and suits you so well. That would be my fave, closely followed by the red one. I might have to find myself a pattern and some fabric now to make something new just for me ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them all! I made a top similar to your first one but the fit of yours is way better, I need to check the pattern out. The sleeves of mine are finished with elastic, which might a quick option if you are planning a second one of these tops. Ah the Sailor top, always a favourite. I wonder if the mum shorts come in a size option for big bottomed girls? Have a lovely week xx

    P.S. Your new home is looking fab, I read the post but didn't have a chance to comment x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those shorts, very nice. Sadly shorts are not needed here just yet but I am a bit of a wimp...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are all lovely makes, you sent me down a fabric browsing rabbit hole with the shop link! The shorts look lovely very flattering I do much prefer a fitted look like that, I am planning on making a dress tomorrow I have been on a bag mission the last few days. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fabulous. I especially love the green blouse and the Liberty red top, I would happily wear them both. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have now just become a happy Bloglovin' follower having discovered your blog today. Happy day indeed. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. All gorgeous, as are you. Especially the green top. You make stuff that makes me want to make clothes, although sadly my sewing machine is very poorly.

    ReplyDelete