Saturday 9 May 2020

Bettine

There is only so long that you can enjoy yourself making repairs and using up old scraps of fabric. I can not deny it is a very satisfying pursuit but now it is time to treat myself and break into something savoured but not exactly new.



I bought this fabric from Seasalt last year in the end of summer sale. It should have been £55 but it was half price (still quite an investment for me) but it was a 3m roll so definitely enough for two garments which seemed good value. I was tipped off about this supply of fabric from Ruth at Nightingale and Doolittle. She uses Seasalt fabric to make some of her wonderful clothes. Here latest one is a stunner.



I wanted to make another Bettine Dress by Tilly and Buttons. I have made three so far but the first one I made, in cotton, has since gone to a smaller owner - it is too small across the arms for me now. The second one is a jersey version which I have just this week passed on to a colleague because I am ready for a new something. The third one has gone missing in action but I do remember taking it on holiday to Italy last year...mmmm...mystery.



I really enjoyed making this dress remembering to make a few alterations for a better fit. I added a bit of width to the skirt pieces to help it go over my head, I added a bit more to the grown on underarm for the same reason as well as getting more arm room and I also added a bit to the length to make it suitable to wear to school for sitting on small chairs.


This time I even added the epaulettes; the fabric was drapey enough to take them without me looking like Mussolini. My reputation in this house as a bit of a task master does not need bolstering with stiff shoulder details.


I love the feel of the fabric, the muted mustard palette and the opportunity to wear navy as the combo colour.



Love this dress and the pattern because it is so well written and explained.

Happy Days. Stay Safe. Jo xxxxxx

12 comments:

  1. Your dress is just divine and it fits you to perfection! I do love Seasalt fabric, but I can't sew :( They don't do children's clothes and their petite range is far to big on me :( I love to browse their site though just to drool over the lovely things :) Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely and very appropriate for this gorgeous weather. That necklace sets it off perfectly. I was considering getting the Bettine last year, but went for French Navy’s Forsythe in the end, as I wasn’t sure about a tulip skirt shape on me. Might just have to buy that pattern now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so lovely made out of the sea salt fabric! The print is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is super fabric and I love the style of the dress, it is good to treat yourself to something nice. I know what you mean though about making adjustments the patterns I have found in the Tilly stretch book are beautiful and well explained but I have only small upper arms and I have had to let them out a little on the patterns. Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely dress Jo and the jewellery is perfect with it. I really enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful fabric and a very pretty style, fitting you perfectly. A great make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo, you look incredible. Such a wonderful pattern and fabric. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely dress Jo! It's always satisfying to make a pattern multiple times so you get it just right. And thank you for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous fabric, Jo, and the dress looks so lovely on you. Like!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the dress Jo! I've looked at the pattern a couple of times but in the end got their Romy dress instead - just got to get the right fabric now.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have that one, let me know how it goes.

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous dress, and I love the colours a lot. When I saw the post it reminded me of Seasalt, now I know why. x

    ReplyDelete