Thursday 1 November 2018

Feeling the Felt


Over to my big girl again today. She came home from school with these amazing felt flowers she had made with an artist at school. She was all fired up and wanted to show me how she made the felt and the flower...I didn't know; I was keen to learn. Luckily we are the kind of family where you can get your hands on some roving and a needle felting tool at the drop of a hat by rummaging around under the sofa. Over to you Heidi:


Firstly, make a piece of felt using a felting needle. Make two the same size and cut them down into squares.



Put some more fleece, soap and water into your hand and roll it to make the centre of the flowers. You might need a towel or some bubble wrap to get it to stick. Put the squares on top of each other at angles to make 8 points.


Use a washing up pad to rub the two squares together and use the needle to stab the stamen into the centre. I just kept doing it until it is all stuck together.


Poke your finger into the centre of the square and make sure the stamen are all pointing down. This makes the shape of the Lily.


 Using the heel of your hand keep rubbing the wet soapy flower until it all starts to fleece together. Be careful not to run the tops of the petals.


It takes a long time. It is better with merino roving because this felts more easily.


Ta dah! Arrange the petals by pulling and stretching them into shape. I put a brooch pin on the back.


Thank you Heidi. Aren't they wonderful? 
I want to make hundreds of them!

Jo and Heidi xxxx

6 comments:

  1. These are fantastic! Such a wonderful outcome with a simple and effective technique. Yeah. Well done Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, they are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, Heidi and Jo!! Another project I want to try and meanwhile I am admiring your efforts and appreciating your clear instructions. Thanks!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So clever! I love how she gets stuck in and has a go. Well done. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed by your skills Heidi and thank you for your tutorial. It is something that I will certainly be trying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My attempts at needle felting have been big flops, so thank you so much to your daughter for this great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete