Monday 20 August 2018

Just stuff

This post it a little random, you know, just the ramblings of a woman out of routine with children at home on Summer holidays and a  bloke starting a new job on shifts. Just a general fuzz of too much stuff to do and so little time to do it in. Anyway, here is what we have been randomly up to:


Crocheting and listening to my ipod at Cardingmill valley. The weather was variable in a kind of Irish weather way: windy, drizzle, baking sunshine, humid and cloudy all in two hours. I watched the girls and my God daughter play in the depleted stream. There was barely a trickle due to the early summer heat wave but they made a dam to get a pool to play in.


Going to the farm to check progress on our house build. If we don't go to the farm, the girls don't see their dad! He is working very hard both in his new job and at the farm at weekends. This has a knock on effect for me because I am single handely running a shabby household 24/7 and trying to go to work myself while the girls want to do other stuff.


It was a good day to go and find Bloke yesterday, the weather was settled and the view from the house was mighty fine. It was good to see the Stone Masons at work on the front of our house.


We have an ongoing house building job - my dad bought these tiles three years ago for 99p on ebay and there is enough from a rough estimate to tile a room in our house - we just don't know which one yet! My dad made piles of building materials he bought in this way but now that he is not here we don't know what they were all intended for. 

We need to count and dress them. The girls were little stalwarts on the wire brushes. I tapped the cement off the back with a hammer. We lasted just over an hour but then I started wondering who is going to feed these children and what can I cook them when I am eight miles from home at 4:30pm? We all ended up in an Indian restaurant.



My crafting is at a crossroads or possibly a roundabout. I keep going round and round different projects but not really getting stuck into any of them. I have two baby vests, a hat, a jumper and a blanket on the go. The Beatnik jumper is a slow burner but I have just about got the hang of the pattern but I can only do it when there is no one else in the house. One call of "Mum!" or "could you just..." and my concentration is broken.


I am making a couple of quick crochet boys tank tops because we have been invited to two christenings in September, one of which we are God parents. I like making gifts for friends and family. I will buy two little shirts to go under them.


These teeny tiny squares are made when my mind is numb and I can't follow a pattern. They are a bit like eating crisps - you just make one more, then one more...oh go on, another one....etc.


I am aware I sound out of sorts. I am. I am longing for my term time routine. There are some nice events and things on the horizon though so I am trying to focus on those. Anyway we all went to the Zoo today to get out of the house. I must say it was fun.

Jo xxxx

12 comments:

  1. Oh, Jo. You sound just like me a couple of weeks back. I really can't stand the feeling of being at loose ends and not having the normal structure in your days. Our summer breaks are so loooooong, I feel like I barely survive them. It sounds like you have at least had a chance to relax, which is important, and I'm glad to hear there is progress on the new house. Those tiles are really cool, and I'm sure you'll have the perfect spot for them. I love that they were gathered by your dad, that makes them special in a way. I hope these last couple of weeks before school are not too hard on you, hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope things feel more normal once term starts up again! I love the photos, especially of the tiny crochet squares and that beautiful landscape!


    Mary xx
    goddess-within.me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Jo,you will get there in the end.I love the photos,beautiful scenery.Didn't know you were having a house built,how exciting.We sold our Big House,and have down sized in Cornwall,but oh do I miss my King Size Kitchen lol.Loving those teeny tiny squares.Have now posted my Finished Baby Blanket.Sending Huggles.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are juggling so much and doing a really good job so down be so hard on yourself. It will all be worth it in the end. I love the tiles, they must be a real comfort and a lovely reminder of your Dad. Not long to go now and the holidays will be a distant memory. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well now, you and I are both longing for some routine...shall we make a pact to remind each other when that longing is replaced by wanting a break from said routine :-) Your projects and growing skill sets continue to inspire me. I recently crocheted a tiny cotton thread tube to go over the earpiece of the phone headset for the receptionist at church and have to see on Wed. if it is long enough...an interesting project that shall not lead to a booming business I dare say. Your daughter took a fab photo of the bee! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel for you my friend. Those long summer holidays are difficult when work and children pull you in different directions. In your case you are also pulled in a third direction, building a house is stressful at best of times but more so when it proves such a profound shift in your usual routines. I hope you find some peace in being creative. I started a new quilt to give me focus, would you like to join me in this journey and start a quilt for your new house? xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a lot going on and still continue to get so much done so you should be proud. I'm sure the Indian meal went down well and just what everyone needs when you are rushing here and there. I hope you feel more settled soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoping your life settles soon Jo. We've just had 2 months in which my husband hasn't worked at the weekends on taxis. It's been absolutely wonderful. Usually he is a self employed driving instructor in the week (also a trainer of instructors too) and works for a local taxi firm Friday & Saturday night.
    Your gifts sound great, very smart. Take care. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely projects! Sometimes life is thrown out of routine and we aren't that comfortable when it takes away a big chunk of our time. But then, these breaks are meant to have family time. I have many times thought that going out might further reduce whatever time I have but I rather surprised myself by feeling good:) I guess we need to try harder to just love and live in the moment we are having and not think about losing time and energy. We crafters are sometimes too self-indulgent :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bargain tiles and what a fabulous view.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a lot going on right now no wonder you are having a difficult time settling down on one project. Try to be easy on yourself with all that is happening, just sit and create when you can.

    ReplyDelete