I bought this fabric from Myfabrics.co.uk in the sale. They often have interesting stretch fabrics in their sale. I guess people are a bit more wary of sewing with stretch but I have practiced with it a bit now and am not frightened. The stretch is 40%. You find it out by measuring 10cm of fabric on the stretch grain, then stretch it as far as it will go. My 10 cm turned out to go to 14cm so it has 40% stretch. Little tip there for you.
I made some adjustments to the Burda 7863 pattern:
- Took 2cm out of the front and back seat depth as my last two pairs from this pattern were too high waisted.
- Did not interface the waistband to keep it stretchy.
- Omitted the belt loops to make them smooth enough to wear with a tunic
- Took a stack out of the back waist yoke for the right hip:waist ratio
- My mum pinned out the legs for me so that I did not have baggy knees
- Generally, I kept sewing and trying on, sewing and trying on.
These jeans took me ages, all of the summer holidays in fact, tiny little stages completed during the whole six weeks and a final push this week to finish and hem them.
'You can eat a whole cow - a bit at a time!'
PS. I bought a new camera so no blurry bum photos today. Hooray!