Wednesday 6 April 2016

Because it's easy

I made a top this week because it was easy. The children are home. Time is limited. It was already cut out, all the notions were in the bag, I had made it before and I just wanted to sew something easy.



It is from a vintage pattern Simplicity 8352 from 1978. The dress has the look of a seventies Bettine about it don't you think? The trousers are completely elasticated so those are a no go for a shortie like me but I love the easiness of the top in terms of making and wearing.



I wore it this week with a brown spagetti strap camisole underneath, black jeans and my brown cowboy boots - very comfy!



If I made it again I would make a double seamed casing along the neck because the elastic is rolling a little but the fabric is a sheer and slippy customer so I just went for one round of casing. It needs another seam around the top which would make it sit flatter really. I know this because it is what I did on my first one but meh! you know sometimes you just want to sew and wear.


 

 This one is for my Vintage pledge 2016. You can draft a similar one for yourself by using this tutorial for an adult peasant blouse here. Thanks for stopping by.


Jo x

14 comments:

  1. It's lovely, I really like the pretty fabric. I made a similar top but with little cap sleeves last summer which I loved so much I bought a long sleeved top pattern that is very like yours. It's a New Look one though, not a vintage pattern like yours. There is something special about clothes we make ourselves I think. I don't do it nearly so much these days though as I used to. I do have several vintage skirt patterns however, two of which I made last year. The sizing is a bit different I found - the further back in time, the smaller the pieces get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Very true about the sizing, I am getting the hang of it slowly. Good Luck with your sewing x

      Delete
  2. This is where your organisation with all your cut out projects really comes into its own. Well done for finding time to squeeze in crafting while the children are on holidays, I find it hard to drink hot tea when they are off let alone finish a make! It's a cute top, I have a similar pattern for a peasant top that I am looking forward to making Imogen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice choice Jo. PS. I mentioned you in my latest blog post. I love your styling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The elastic as you made it I think offers a nice detail to the top. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always beautiful, I love the beads you put with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, Jo! I've been searching for a blouse of this type and I never thought to make one myself. I wonder if I have the sewing chops for it. I really like the way you styled your blouse with the beaded necklace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honesty Jennifer, it is so easy. Sew the sleeves to the back and fronts, then sew from the cuff down the sleeves through the armhole to the hem. Fold over a casing around the neck and thread some elastic. Then do the same on the cuffs. Hem it. Hey presto!

      Delete
  7. Another great sew! You must have lots of lovely handmade items in your wardrobe now to choose from. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's lovely. Sometimes you just want to make something quick and don't you find that some of the items you slave over for ages are the ones that don't get worn? Some of my quickest makes get the most wear. I like how you described your styling of it. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the design and the fabric very nicex

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola belleza este modelo un clásico y siempre cae en todos los talles me encanto un beso Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it, love the fabric and the pattern. I would wear this in a second, bet you look gorgeous with it on.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. That’s fabulous! The fabric as well as design is very pretty. Next month, going to attend some events at local event space NYC. Planning to buy something similar for my new dresses for those events. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete