Monday 14 September 2015

It's more than an apron

Today, a tale of two aprons. 

I made this apron from the Great British Sewing Bee Series one book. It is in preparation for my next run of sewing classes. The fabric is from a generous stash of happy post donated to me by Christina from A Colourful Life. 



I can afford a moment of larking about in the garden with the pegs this morning as it is my first Monday at home without the children or work since the beginning of the long holidays. My to-do list is bulging and my apron is ready for some action.


My first job has been to clean out the greenhouse which has sort of turned into a see-through shed of dumped rubbish covered in spiders webs which were all in my hair.


Then I am sashaying to the kitchen to make carrot soup and carrot cake because I accidentally clicked twice online for the one bag of carrots I wanted! ho hum...


Then I am going to do a bit of sewing with the added bonus of no interruptions. There are washing loads to put on too but I can sew in between.


My final apron story is a little sad. In July 2104 I made this apron for my friend. She is a home help carer and asked me to make an apron for one of her clients as she couldn't find a waist tie apron in the shops. I did so and blogged about it way back then. Sadly the wearer passed away last week but my friend told me that she had been buried in it as she loved the apron so much. Isn't that an incredible thing? I don't know the lady but I feel happy that something that seemed insignificant to me has given someone else so much joy.

Keep making stuff everyone because it is really important you know.

Jo xxxxxx






17 comments:

  1. I feel like shedding a tear, this last bit of your post is very moving. Thanks for the mention Jo. The stash is much better of at yours, I am hopeless using it up myself. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an emotional post, how lovely to know that something you made was so well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your aprons. I'm an apron wearer and am currently making a whole heap to sell in our National Trust shop. I'm inspired by your frill, might do some of those. Regarding that elderly lady, you never really know when something you say or do will affect someone's life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely story about the lady who loved the apron. A handmade gift is always extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh that's such a lovely story about the apron you made for your friends client. So so sweet x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure whether to think that little bit at the end is good or bad! It's very sad that the lady passed away, but very awesome that what you were able to provide her brought so much joy to her life. But I do know it is a wonderful feeling to know that something you have created for someone else brings them happiness! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your apron is lovely and I can't wait for the sewing Bee to be back on our screens. I think the ladies story is lovely. My nan had a fresh apron on every single day in a whole variety of colours. I was only young when she passed away but I wish I had the forethought to have kept at least one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How incredibly touching. You might not have know the lady, but you made a real difference to her life! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, what a touching story :) Thankyou for sharing it :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful story about the owl apron. You really touched her life. The new apron is lovely, you look like the happiest of homemakers wearing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both the aprons are lovely. It is nice that you touched someone's life so dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the retro apron made from the Sewing Bee pattern but when I saw your owl one...well he is gorgeous! What a very beautiful story about the lady you made the apron for. That is truly rewarding that she valued it so much, something made by hand creates lasting pleasure and you certainly did that for the lady in her final weeks xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your hours of solitude were very productive, Jo :) [I would not have expected less of you!] It is so lovely to know that your creativity especially blessed someone, too. Thanks for posting! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful story about the owl apron. It made me well up. How lovely that you touched this lady's life like this.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look brilliant and you make cleaning out the spider webs looks like so much fun! Christina is the best, you are too.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oops I forgot to add how amazing the story of the owl apron is, she sure loved it. You must have been so touched when you heard all about it.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete