Thursday 1 May 2014

Peasant shirt dress - version 1

Yesterday I had a pleasant morning chatting with Little M while making a peasant shirt dress for her. I like this style of dress, my neighbour had given me a much larger shirt than Bloke would ever wear and it was a lovely raspberry colour.



I went on pinterest, remembered I had something on my 'children' board and clicked. It turned out to be just a photo without instructions so I just started - because I am a bit like that!

 

The image looked like this... but I could not work out how the shoulders worked so I changed it a bit because my shirt had a yoke at the back which I had to cut below. Maybe the pale shirt was just bigger or something. I definitely did not get the neck line right.


I left the sleeve hem (useful) and cut in to make the sleeves. In hindsight this made the armpits a bit tight so I wouldn't do this next time.


 I found a basic shape and started to sew the 
shoulders and side seams


I saw this bias binding on both Chrissie and Mariannes blogs this week and it reminded me that I bought some in Gardenland for 50p a metre in a sale in January.


I made a double casing for the sleeves which was easy because it was already hemmed.


Hey presto! There are things I would change next time. The armpit area especially needs to be bigger and I would make the neck bit neater by having the casing going all the way round rather than from shoulder to shoulder. Oh yeah and I might use matching thread next time!



But she loved it and put it on for Pre-school today with a t-shirt underneath to keep warm.

If you want a slicker finish I was really close to buying this instant download pattern and I still might. This has versions as a dress or top and also a version with a beautiful scalloped edge.

Reduce, reuse and recycle. Jo xxxxx

http://www.sewmuchado.com/2012/08/polly-peasant-dress-blouse-pdf-pattern.html

EDIT: I finished writing this post at 9.18am and by 10.28am I had caved in and bought the pattern! Great photographic instructions for beginners. Jo x

EDIT 2: I HIGHLY recommend this pattern it is totally BRILIANT!!!!! 
I have made 2 blouses - sew easy!



22 comments:

  1. Hi Jo,

    Whether you think there are errors in your little dress it's still far better than I could cobble together. Your little one looks great in it and i think her little pink boots just completes the ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to pick up a couple of shirts next time I go to a car boot or charity shop so that I can give that a go for my two Grandaughters. I have just sent the link to your blog so that my daughter can have a look. I am so impressed it is adorable, as is the cute little girl wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a gorgeous little dress Jo, you did a great job, and such a pretty colour! Little M looks so happy with it and so pretty too! Her hair seems to be growing since I last saw a pic of her? Joy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a slow hair growing process only heightened as her sisters is really thick which she has had since a baby! She has a target, "When I start in school in September I will have long hair won't I?" yes Meg I say, it's only taken 5 years! Jo x

      Delete
    2. Ah bless her sweet little heart - she'll get there! xxx

      Delete
  4. That is very clever. There is a huge amount of material in a man's shirt and it is usually very strong. I save my hubby's old shirts to make shorts for boys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wee dress is fantastic Jo, you really are very talented. Little Miss looks very cute wearing it too.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss M looks like a beautiful little doll in her adorable new dress! I love it, Jo. ...She's precious! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't she just the prettiest little thing! And she looks mighty happy wearing that lovely dress! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally impressed ! she looks so happy in her sweet little dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet dress, she looks thrilled with it, great use for old shirts too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, I've never seen anything like this before but I love it! I'm sure there must be a shirt I can steal from my husband around here somewhere... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't you just so amazing sewing that up as if it was nothing at all. I love it and Little Miss looks perfect in it.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great and is a great re-use of the shirt. I hope that you enjoy making some more with the pattern! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am pinning this! You are so talented friend! Seriously! I love that dress on her and thank you for sharing the pattern for newbies like me! Her little smile says it all! Wishing you a great weekend! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made two tops from the pattern and HIGHLY recommend it. Great tutorial, accurate shape pieces and once the paper was cut it took me an hour to make a tunic blouse and 40 mins to make the second one later in the day when I knew what to do. Good luck. Jo x

      Delete
  14. Oh my goodness, you are so clever! I would love to make something like this, one day, *sigh* :) Thank you for the advice regarding the bobbin, I think you are right and I never knew that would even matter! I am going to give it a try this weekend so I will let you know how I get on! Have a lovely weekend, Jo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely Jo this looks fab and I could see by my Little Peeps in it. You are such a clever lady Jo and always have such inspiring posts, this one was just fab, thank you so much. Big hugs and loves
    Dorothyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have just given into the temptation and ordered the Peasant Dress pattern. I have washed the fabric I want to use and now have to wait for it to dry. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable ... the colour is beautiful ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this is amazing! What a cool use for an old shirt, you've totally reinvented it. Upcycling at it's best. You are so clever Jo! x

    ReplyDelete