Saturday 7 December 2013

Ouch!

We went for a walk at the weekend to Severn Valley Country Park. I had a reason I wanted to walk there specifically. I picked lots of sloes there last year and thought I could locate them again.


There were a few left and they were really ripe and a little bit frosted.


Oh but the pain!


Look at my poor hand. Ouch!


That is enough for three little bottles of gin. I don't follow a recipe my nan always did it in thirds - 1 third gin, 1 third sloes and 1 third sugar. I do it by eye splitting the bottle into thirds. I also put them in the freezer over night so that the skin splits and then I pop them in the bottle - no needle pricking for me thanks.


I walked back to the woodland playground to find the others.


Everything after that looked a bit prickly...but it will be worth it when it is done.


Can you see Layla there? The white hen, both Poppy and Layla are still laying eggs which we expected to have dropped off by now so I shall be getting Christmas cake ingredients ready this week and five of those lovely eggs would be perfect.

Jo xx

9 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try making sloe gin so I may just brave the elements and pop out on a woodland walk tomorrow... with purpose! Enjoy making the cake xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made sloe gin, but I do like gin!! Hope that your poor prickled fingers are better now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of sloe gin, I bet it is quite yummy. Sorry you got all scratched up.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never tried sloe gin, enjoy the cake baking.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks as painful and 'dangerous' as blackberry picking, but I think your resulting gin packs more of a fun punch than bramble jam...Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just think though that in a couple of weeks you'll have forgotten about the 'ouch' and concentrating on the 'mmmmm' - it looks great x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure it will be worth the pain! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jo what a sweet post - I wish we still had hens, I adored mine but unfortunately we don't have the space in this house or I would have them back tomorrow. Big hugs to you Jo
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never made sloe gin but I love the color! I have a funny story from my father-in-law; when he was a kid, he and his brother drank a lot of sloe gin because they thought it was "slow" gin, meaning it would take a long time to get you drunk. They were wrong! Haha.

    ReplyDelete