Thursday 7 March 2019

Use it or Lose it

I had a rare whole day to myself the other day just a haircut booked and a trip to the dog groomers so I decided I wanted to make another bra. Two of mine had actually worn out - holes, grubby, fraying edges, stretched out elastic etc. These casualties were two M&S ones. Maybe by working on building our house I have given them a good stretch painting ceilings!


I have made about five bras since I learnt way back in February 2016 so I felt confident about rummaging through my stash and whipping up a bra. I had got really good at it(see this beauty). I had more stuff than I thought in my stash boxes however, some of this is not really big enough to do anything with but with lingerie sometimes you only need small bits for some parts. I had quite a range of notions, elastic, wire casing etc. Some of it had been given to me from an ex market trader in haberdashery.



Treating myself to this glorious afternoon of sewing,I decided to open a whole new kit I bought about three years ago. Alarmingly, as I started to make it, I realised I couldn't remember all the things I had learnt. It was a bit like learning French at school and then not remembering any of it when you actually go on holiday as an adult. It was all gone.



It meant that making this bra felt like the first time all over again. I couldn't remember the best stitch lengths or which needle to put in my machine. I tried a few but mostly had seam lines like this until I used a super stretch needle. There was a lot of unpicking.




 I couldn't remember how to apply elastic or even which way round some pieces went! Think Leah on the sewing Bee with her swimsuit.




After a lot of swear words and shouting at my machine, I resigned myself to using this pink bra as my new learning bra which was fine as it turned out because there was not any pink shoulder strap elastic in the kit which seemed strange. I went for a pink/black combo which made for a slightly racy version but in the end the fit on the bust was excellent. The sewing quality is not great because I kept switching the gauge and it needs a tweek under the arms which I have transferred onto the paper pattern pieces for next time. I did however, use lace so it felt like I was was moving forward. The pattern is the Marlborough version from orange Lingerie.



I made two pairs of knickers to go with it and have decided to cut out another bra in black and continue my revision. I have found out with this project that if you don't use a skill, you soon lose it.



Tenacious as ever. Jo xxx

11 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! Wish I knew how to make a bra as I can never find one that fits right!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I learnt to make them. Just need some revision now!

      Delete
  2. That is just gorgeous Jo, I can't believe you had a kit knocking about all that time and managed to keep it! Brilliant job. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been saving it for when I got better and then forgot all that I had learnt!

      Delete
  3. An entire afternoon of sewing is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Jo, you will feel so special wearing your beautiful new items.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jo,Is there no end to your talents.This is so clever and very pretty.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saturday I was bragging about you and your blog to a local friend who is creatively clever but not into blogging. I told her that one of my favorite parts of your blog is that you share your creative process...good/bad. Thanks for sharing what you are learning, Jo! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you Gracie! Such a compliment.

      Delete