Sunday 31 March 2019

Chuffed

  
It feels a long time since I have made something that I have been really chuffed with. I make things all the time and am mostly satisfied and happy with what I make. 


Today is Mothering Sunday in the UK and my family asked me what I wanted to do. I asked for a few hours sewing time without interruptions. I made this top in two very pleasurable hours this afternoon.


I was even more chuffed because Megan loved it and wanted to wear it straight away. 


My day got better as I took some terrific photographs;not always easy in the winter months. Today signals the time when I can get camera happy to take much better blog photos for a good few months.


The top is a hash of an Ottobre top I have made twice before. It has a zip placket but I always make a mess of it. Trying to sew a placket and a zip in jersey is a tricky business. I altered the pattern to make a keyhole with a button loop instead. I drafted a facing for the inside to make this possible.


The fabric was kindly given to me by my Auntie who had made a cape for her grand daughter and had no use for the leftovers. I even managed to use her hood which she had cut out and sewn ready but didn't end up using. There was just enough fabric to squeeze out a front pocket. The reverse of this fabric is as good as the quilted front so I used it to make the cuffs and hood band.


I am really chuffed with this project all round and so is my little girl. I can't think of a better way to spend Mothering Sunday than sewing for my family.

Jo xxxxx

10 comments:

  1. Wow - 2 hours - that's amazing. What a fab top, looks really cosy. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing and looks so comfy. I'm glad you enjoyed sewing something you enjoyed and spending time with your lovely family.
    Hope the renovations are going well too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be because it is amazing, and so is that smile I might add. Happy Mothering Sunday,a few hours to do what you want is pure bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Niiiice, no wonder there are lots of smiles. Sounds like you had a good day. CN x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a nice day, the smile says it all really a wonderful top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great Mothering Sunday gift, time to spend with your sewing machine. Megan's looks great. I like your creative approach, the placket/zip alternative looks fun. Have a good week xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely treat for you and a gorgeous little sweater. I don't really know of that magazine is it just for children's clothes? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ottobre is a fabulous quarterly magazine you can get online. I don't subscribe because it is pricey but I buy back issues when I like the wardrobe. There are female ones too. It is made in Finland but comes in English too. It contains no advertising, just a capsule wardrobe for each season. Only draw back is you have to trace off the patterns from the pattern sheets but the classic designs are outstanding. I buy one a year!

      Delete
  8. This looks so good, I'm not surprised you are chuffed at all.
    What a lovely way to spend Mother's day. I'm floating mine to the Easter holidays as our youngest is away at uni these days, so I've still got it to look forward to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely fabric - great job!

    ReplyDelete