Sunday 22 October 2017

It was meant to be...

2017 has see me make a substantial dent in my stored up craft stash. The yarn is obviously going at a slower pace than my fabric but I had a weak moment a few weeks back. It reminded me why I had been, but why I shouldn't, buy impulse bargains. 


I saw three balls of this beautifully soft alpaca in a charity shop in my lunch break for 50p a ball and I bought it. On the drive back to work I had that old feeling I used to have. I wondered why I had felt the need to buy wool with no reason. What was it for? Who was it for? What was such a paltry amount going to make anyway? etc. etc. I felt like I had slipped back into an old habit.


On my return to the office, my manager told me that he and his wife were going to have a baby which they had wanted for a long time. He even told me it was going to be a boy due in December. BINGO!


My manager keeps bees and I found these in the bottom of my button jar to finish this tiny baby sweater. I mean it was meant to be wasn't it? It did remind me however that buying random bargain bits of wool is not a thing I want to keep repeating so I reckon I just got lucky this time. The pattern is free from ravelry here. It is called Garter Yoke Cardi which is an easy top down knit.



With one ball left, I was determined not to put it in the cupboard for a few years so I made a hat in stocking stitch whilst being dive-bombed by ladybirds at the cabin. 



Next, I looked under the sofa. I found two balls of DMC denim cotton which was in a goody bag from DMC at the CHSI craft show in February. It made the perfect pebble vest. I LOVE this pattern. It knits up in two evenings and can use any combination of buttons from a jar. I like the way you can just fold your baby into it like a fajita. 




I have plenty of other knitting I need to be doing but I got a bit side-tracked with baby knits because they are so quick and easy to finish.



Thanks for dropping by. Today I am linking up with Sum of their stories for handmade Monday. Lots of inspiration in all crafts. Do pop over.

Jo xxxx

18 comments:

  1. Well I think that impulse buy was meant to be. It all worked out for the good now didn't it. I have done the very same thing. I buy it, walk out of the store happy as a lark, start that drive home and think, "what on earth did I do now? ". Fueled my addiction, that is what I did and I went from a high to a low....they really should lock the door when they see me coming, but I figure I would be one nasty sight having a melt down outside of the place.....anyways, I'm glad I stopped by,. Your baby sweaters are just precious and putting those bee buttons on the sweater is gonna make those new parents so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful gift you have put together :) it will be cherished I'm sure... and thank you for the link party. It is so much fun to encourage each other when it comes to our, dare I say, crafting :D ... and I don't think buying random balls of yarn is a bad thing at all ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful garments. I love the alpaca wool - especially at that price? And you have wool under your sofa - wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes I have lots more wool under my sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made the perfect presents with that yarn, and I might add it is beautiful yarn. I know how you feel, I had a bit of a breakdown in my yarn buying. My local yarn store was having an anniversary sale on Saturday and I went even though I shouldn't have. I was feeling a bit sorry for myself missing a trip to New Orleans with my sister and a sheep and wool festival next weekend in North Carolina. I have always wanted to go but Little Buddy has an appointment on Friday I absolutely must attend. It will all go to good use still I should have been stronger willed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such lovely, thoughtful gifts. It was definitely meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to pick up random things at car boot sales, thankfully that habit has stopped. Not through will power but the lack of them on the Island. I also find that I am spending such a lot on craft supplies these days so picking up the odd bargain is no bad thing. Beautiful knitting, such a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Jo absolutely stunning and how convenient that you had all the colours for boys, when you only have girls. Was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your yarny makes are so sweet! Little baby will be so snug in those.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are both so gorgeous, your boss is going to be so happy with them! It just shows that you should never ignore your urge to buy yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am inspired! I think I will look at my stash.....
    These are really lovely and the children who wear them will be lucky tykes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great yarny bargain. Your makes are absolutely delightful, your boss is lucky to have such talent on his team.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes it's just meant to be! You gave a £1.50 donation to charity and made a lovely gift. I really don't think you can beat yourself up about that! At least you are mindful about what you did, so I think you are not in any danger of slipping back into old ways just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so perfect! I love the colour of the blue and the buttons on the beige. Really lovely makes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW.I really love your Baby makes.I am still going like the clappers trying to finish my bobble baby blanket for my friends twin girls they are 1yr on Dec 1st lol but think they just might get then hee hee.Happy making.hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  16. You make such good use of what you have whether you bought it or were gifted with it, Jo. You continue to inspire and instruct me, and I really appreciate it! I want to make all the handsome pieces you have shown me in this post!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was definitely meant to be. What generous gifts, beautifully made and with so much love. You're a very talented knitter, and very fast too - I feel like your evenings must be longer than mine but I suspect you just make better use of your time than I do. Xx

    ReplyDelete