Tuesday 26 September 2017

Minerva Merchant and Mills Shirt Dress

You know the months are flying by when you miss a deadline because you think,"that is not until the end of September!" and there it was, gone. My Minerva post is late this month for no other reason than I didn't realise it was the 22nd of September already!


The Merchant and Mills Shirt Dress is not for me. I think I am just too small. I don't mean it is a garment for larger weight ladies but it is for tall people with stature and presence.


My pal Elie looks fabulous in it so it has become hers. Here she is larking about on her first blog shoot while we test out how much to cut off the hem, hence the raw edge. In the end we took 4" off it to make it more of a tunic style. We also took lots out of the width to give more shape rather than a baggy dress. Elie received it for her birthday on the 18th September with some funky tights after I had made the alterations.




Although the pattern isn't for me, I must say that the grey chambray from Minerva is a delight to use. It would make a brilliant shirt dress or shirt of any kind.



I used the last of it to make a Grainline Studio scout tee. It was a good match for my new favourite skirt. It will be a very useful garment in this solid colour especially moving into Autumn as this skirt will be put away soon.



Thank you Minerva for letting me try something new. The fabric is fantastic...

Jo xxx

9 comments:

  1. I can't believe how fast the year is flying by!
    Great photoshoot of both of you in your super makes! Love the setting you chose for your pics! The fabric looks nice, love the colour, and I love the jewellery you are both wearing ..... did you make it?
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. I am smuggly going to tell you that it is the best corner of my garden - the rest is a disgrace! Always charity shop jewellery in this part of the world, the one Elie is wearing was a great find and one of my favourites.

      Delete
  2. Both great makes, I loved the jewellery too. The brick wall was amazing, a beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie looks great in the dress. The t shirt is very becoming on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both garments look amazing! I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Unfortunately Merchant and Mills patterns need to much changing for my plump body :-) I like the neckline of your scout tee and the sleeves are set in very nicely, too. I bought this same chambray in a light denim blue, it is waiting to be something better than a flat piece of fabric. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried two now and they both made me look like a sack of potatoes instead of all artisan like I had in my imagination!!

      Delete
  6. Great makes for both of you Jo! What a lucky friend too. I will check out that fabric if they have any left after your post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean about being too short for some patterns! I am 5ft and often just look like I am wearing dressing up clothes if I don't think carefully about what I will wear and how.

    ReplyDelete