Friday 10 February 2023

Winter Knitting round up

 I have had some quite successful knitting projects of late. I find knitting kind of goes in waves for me; sometimes fantastic, sometimes farcical. 


Bloke bought me a lovely new book for Christmas called Ready Set Raglan. If you like knitting top down jumpers is a must have book. It acts as a kind of pick and mix book where you choose your neck finish, hem finish and size followed by the kind of raglan pattern you would like. I love these kind of books because I like a long sleeve and short body fit. 


I chose a split hem because I was trying to trick my jumper into NOT flipping up on the ribbed waistband. You might notice here I am holding it. It is to stop it flipping - it is flipping annoying! 
I blocked the edge which stopped it happening but I think I need to go down more than one needle size when I rib my knitting. It happens on everything I do.


Anyway, the raglan is joyous and so easy to achieve. When I knit another one out of the book, which I surely will, I will do the German short rows at the back neck to make the front neck a little lower but I am really 'knit-picking'


The yarn was a huge hank I bought in a bargain bin at WonderWool last year. My usual shenanigans - you know the drill - no ball band, no washing instructions, no yardage...no idea. But it felt enough for a sweater. It was quite a light mustard colour so I ran a strand of Isager Kid silk mohair from Ippikin (not a bargain!) with it and the resulting fabric was suberb. It fit the gauge requirements, is super soft and warm and took the tone of the yellow down a peg or two.


Next up to ease the budget a little after the Isager purchase I made a birthday present for a two year old with some bottom-of-the-basket left overs. It is one of my favourite tops to knit called Like Sleeves which you can find on ravelry here. It is two rectangles with a row of decreases at the empire line and the sleeves you see are purely an optical illusion! I striped it out to get the antique rose yarn to go the distance. All wrapped and ready to go.

OK, wait for it.....


I finished my tank top and bought a shirt to go underneath. I was due a new white shirt because the two I owned had turned the colour of old chewing gum. I decided now was the time to finally yay or nay the monster top from 2022. 

When I see it in the top photo, I really like it. When I see it below I don't like it because it is all uneven but you know what - I will wear it this spring and see, nobody knows the armholes are different depths. I simply couldn't leave the one armhole unfinished therefore I added a small row of rib. 

I mean weird shape or what?


Finally, I have crocheted a jumper. I am a little late on the show and tell for this little number. I made it over Christmas but it is really ready for Spring. I have a craft group and a few people wanted to make a jumper so we have been making them together. This is stylecraft bambino which is delightful against the skin. This jumper came in at under £20!



We are going skiing next week to Austria. I always like a little portable project for the airport and on holiday so I have cast on a new pair of socks. 

Any knitting/crochet success of late? Jo xxxx

11 comments:

  1. Una colección completa, has tejido muchísimo. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your creations, but I have to agree that the tank top is weird. Joy x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the crochet jumper. Where is the pattern from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very old book called for Dorling and Kindersly called Crochet.

      Delete
  4. The raglan increases look nice, I might just have to add this book to my wish list. Love the crochet jumper (I find it fascinating that garments can be crocheted, must try one day). Have a fun time skiing xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are all lovely projects Jo, I bet no one else is as critical of your work as you. The crochet jumper is my favourite and a lovely colour on you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the mustard jumper, it's fabulous, and a gorgeous colour. And I love the little top for the two year old as well, such a clever pattern. And great value yarn for the crochet jumper, it can be REALLY pricey sometimes to knit things. I had a shelf tidy the other day and my knitting reappeared from behind my To Be Read pile, so I shall do a row or two later. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS, Enjoy the skiing. The urchins are pressing on with their lessons here and are going from quite high up now. There is a handily placed net at the end of the ski run, otherwise it's a thirty foot drop into the car park. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the yellow jumper. I remember reading about a way of stopping the flipping up on the hem, I think it was on the MDK site. It involved slipping the knit stitches as if to purl on the first row of the ribbing, and purling the purl stitches as normal and then continuing to rib as normal thereafter. It may be worth a go. I like the look of that book. Enjoy the skiing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still waiting for the farce, everything you make is so gorgeous. Love both the sweaters and the vests. Enjoy your holiday!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your yellow jumper, looks good on you. Your other makes look good, the tank top plays with my mind... I wonder if other people try to work it out too. I think the pattern is lovely, a vintage vibe I guess. I've never crocheted a garment to wear, it's a gorgeous colour. I've dusted off my blog and shared some draft photos. Take care and hope you enjoyed your trip. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete