Thursday 20 May 2021

Wasn't sure...

 There is something very methodical about bag making, I am not sure if I like it but I needed a new rucksack style handbag. My Eden Coat is made out of this waterproof fabric so my current handbag keeps sliding off my shoulder which in turn is making my shoulder ache as I assume a 'hunchback-of-Notre-Dame' position to hold it on. 

The fabric was expensive so I was keen to use up the leftovers, no surprises there. The pattern is called the Riley Rucksack which was a free pattern with a sewing magazine that someone passed on to me. I plundered all of the notions from my stash apart from the two zips which I bought. 


When it was finished I was a bit, meh! thinking I had spent a lot of time making a floppy rucksack. Once it had my usual items in it however, it was much more weighed down.


It is a fab size for all my gubbins including space for a bottle of water.


There are internal pockets for my phone and my notebook. The inside seams are not the neatest because I was losing confidence towards the end that I wouldn't like it so I overlocked the inside with white thread because I couldn't be bothered to change it to green - wish I had now!


The instructions for the straps were confusing, I think I missed putting it all together in the right order somewhere along the line because I made it with a big break between starting it and finishing it. I fell back therefore on my bra making knowledge and made the straps like bra straps! Worked a treat. I don't know where the buckles came from but I hacked the pins off them with a pair of pliers to re-purpose as two sliders.


Ta dah! wasn't sure about it half way through but I sure as hell was not going to have a half made bag in my fabric cupboard. 
Glad I finished it because now I love it. 

Got anything that needs finishing off?
Jo xxxx

14 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous and pretty into the bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely, clever you. And I love lots of inside pockets in bags for all of the things, oh so many things. I have a cross stitch that has been lingering for a long time that I have gone off of a bit. I stopped because the stitches are small the light here isn't great in the evenings and it was just a bit annoying and fiddly. It sits on the shelf reproachfully though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasn't everyone got an unfinished cross stitch somewhere!!

      Delete
  3. That looks good I'm glad you liked it in the end.Its lovely material. Know what you mean about aching shoulders. I have arthritis and have found the best bag for me is a cross body bag. I only carry as little as possible these days. Husband has printed the pinafore pattern for me, thank you. Fabric should come today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this fabric! The bag is fun, a good project for using up fabric. Bag sewing is not my thing, I find it too fiddly. The zip is quite something, solid big fat teeth. Happy days. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very smooth running one from plush addict. Makes it really. X

      Delete
  5. It’s such a pretty bag and a great finish, best of all, no one will have one like it so you will always be able to find it in a pile of others. I have many things unfinished, I just trying to alter a summer dress but the weather has made me throw it aside!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! You did a great job Jo, I would carry it around forever with pride. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks wonderful I'm glad you carried on with it. I tend make up my own bag patterns and I have to say the few patterns I have seen make it look harder than it is. I have a little book with all different ones in but still go my own way. Thank you so much for the surprise bundle it is much appreciated and the little postcard of your new house is gorgeous. Such a lovely parcel to receive on a wet morning. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I have had a pile on the go for a while. X

      Delete
  8. Lovely bag. I volunteer in a charity shop now. Before we display the bags we always stuff them with paper etc. They look much better like that. Yes, I am still working on my crochet blanket. Knitting for a charity has been distracting me. But sometimes charity begins at home and I might have to stop the charity knitting for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so impressed with your skill, Jo. Such a great bag.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it, that fabric is gorgeous. Cn x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely bag Jo. The inside pockets are great for all those little bits that otherwise end up lost at the bottom when you want them quickly :)
    Hope you enjoy using it x

    ReplyDelete