Saturday 10 August 2019

In and Out of Love

I have been slowly falling out of love with my fabric cupboard. It has become a pile of off cuts - many are too big to throw in the patchwork box but not enough to immediately think of what to make with them. Mixed within this pile of scraps are some clothing items I thought I could refashion but haven't got around to. 

I have some new pieces of fabric but there is not enough room to put them up neatly. The dross is hogging the shelf. Hmmmm...


The first thing I attacked out of the pile was a vintage handmade sundress given to me by a friend. I tried it on as a dress but it was pretty huge on me. I decided to hack it off into a skirt.


The fabric pattern and quality of the cotton was wonderful which is why I was hanging on to it. I am a sucker for ric rac too.


I normally make pencil skirts or A line skirts but I chose to go with the fabric within the skirt and add some front pleats. 


I added a waistband and an invisible zip. It already had pockets in it (bonus!) so I made sure they would still be functional.


All in all I like the skirt even though it is not my normal style - definitely a hot day skirt. I may turn it up a little bit more as I feel this length looks a little frumpy on me...


It is crying out for a white T-shirt but can you believe it, I haven't got one! I will give it a whirl for a few days while I sew something else from my nearly scraps pile. It is definitely better shorter...



Have you refashioned anything lately?
Jo xxx

6 comments:

  1. A lovely makeover, I do prefer it shorter. It is funny that just a little too long in the length can make or break a garment. I have mainly not quite big enough scraps in my stash, they always get used eventually though. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this re-fashion! What a pretty print and the ric-rac really elevates the vintage style. I agree with you to maybe shorten it a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say it looks nice as it is .....but you are right, it is better shorter.
    ( thats another little job ) I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love refashioning clothes, Your skirt looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful Jo. Xx love reading your blog and hope you and the family are well. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer my dresses and skirts just knee length. I think it makes your legs look longer :)

    ReplyDelete