Thursday 25 July 2019

Heatwave Dress

Feeling hot, hot hot?


I made this dress just before the UK heatwave and although I am not entirely happy with the fit, the flared skirt style was an ideal wardrobe choice today.


I remember making the long version of this dress when I was 21 to wear to all my friends' 21st birthday parties. I knew I was bigger when I was younger but I didn't realise how much. In my memory, the dress I made in the nineties made me feel great so I thought I would just cut out another one in the shorter length and alter it a little on the side seams - oh no no! How wrong my body image perception was!


It is from Prima magazine which my mum had at the time. You can see how old it is by the collared version on the reverse of the one I made - very lady Dianna Spencer!


It was a lot too big. So big in fact that I lost a bit of the shaping because of all the taking in. In hindsight I should have made a toile.


 The all in one facing didn't fit at all after the reshaping and I had to make new ones. The most obvious fitting issue is around the arms. I still have a bit gaping.


I tried hard to salvage this dress because it is made in my new 3m of Seasalt sale fabric. A cotton and viscose mix which is perfect for a fit and flare dress. It was £22 in the sale (now 19.95) so I felt OK about it and lets face it, if it was £55 I would never have bought it!


I used my generic pocket pattern which I add to most of my dresses which made it a bit of a save in the end.



I wore it today and it feels fine on. It made me think, and it isn't the same for everyone, that even though I was much bigger when I was in my early twenties I always felt confident about my body back then and that makes me feel happy today.

Jo xxxx

9 comments:

  1. Seeing you from a distance, the dress seems to fit quite well. You look lovely, as always. The old photo of the collared version made me smile. I was immediately thinking horse racing when I saw it but Princess Diana comes to mind, too. I am going to explore Seasalt now, I had forgotten about the sale you mentioned before. Wishing you a good day, hopefully a little cooler than yesterday xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a lovely fit. Can you put a couple of little darts going under the arm to bring the sleeve gape in a bit, though I have to say you can't see any of that in the pictures. I love the fabric I saw that in the sale too, I am also amazed you still have the pattern after all this time. Enjoy the rest of the week. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the fit looks great! It's a really pretty dress and perfect for a heatwave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo you are adorable no matter the age or the size. I am glad you feel confident and you look fantastic. Isn't that the best thing to pass onto your girls? Feeling your best no matter your size because you are always perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks a cool dress (both for the weather and on you)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Jo, you tell it how it is. Very honest of you. Although it looks great I know you must feel like its been a struggle. Lovely fabric too. It does suit you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to have a big collection of Prima patterns. They were great for beginners. I really must get back to sewing my tops etc. You are so inspiring, and that dress seems perfect for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got a big stack of Prima patterns that a lady in my mum's choir gave her to pass on to me (it's always good when word gets out that you like sewing and people give you their unwanted goodies!) - I must try them out sometime! This dress looks lovely and floaty for hot weather, even if making it was a bit of a struggle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it. I would not have noticed the gaping unless you'd pointed it out. With my bust size I am used to things never really fitting perfectly around the shoulders, bust and arms. But the fabric is gorgeous and I love how swingy it looks.

    ReplyDelete