Sunday 2 September 2018

Self drafted PJ's


Hoorah! A new branch of Abakhans has opened in my nearby town of Shrewsbury, 20 mins walk from my workplace. We went for a visit - I'm lying, we went to buy stuff - last week. Big girl wanted to make some new pyjamas. She has grown three inches in the leg but nothing in the waist in the last nine months.


I can't hide it but I was nervous about the pricing. Abakhans is a remnant company and fabric is sold by the kilo so I had no idea how much my purchases would cost until I got to the till for the weigh in. I was mightily surprised because this piece, about 1.5m was only £3.72. I was also surprised to find we could make a top and trousers out of it. Bonus.


We used her current bottoms to draft a new pair and just added length. To make a top we used another Sleep Tee which was going to be the partner to the bottoms but it turned out we could be all posh and have a matching set. I marked a back and front to get a smooth neckline and made a grown on sleeve with sleeve tabs (just like the Stevie dress)instead of the inset sleeves of this top.


It worked a treat. My serger is out of action so the whole set was made on my normal machine with a 3 way stretch zig zag to finish the edges.




 She did some of the sewing herself and I did the tricky bits like the elasticated waist and the neck binding. It was a team effort. 


She also chose some lovely jersey with little rabbits on to make a long sleeved set which should then last her for the Autumn and winter. 

I bought some ponte roma for myself too but more on that later. 

Thanks for dropping in. Jo xxx

12 comments:

  1. are you aware that if it is a large piece of fabric, you can ask for anything as small as half a metre cut from it, any length as long as it leaves them with a metre still to sell ???
    It saves having loads left over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The assistant did say there had to be 1m left over but this one was just right - no leftovers! Perfect.

      Delete
  2. They're fabulous. I'd love to be able to sew, especially as like your daughter, mine is also blessed with long legs and it can be difficult to get clothes to fit. Such a good price for your fabric too. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! What a lovely pair of pyjamas and that fabric shop sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pj set is truly lovely well done both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, she'll sleep like an angel. I love the zigzag detail on the hems. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see sweet dreams in her future - mostly to do with jam and the man in the moon.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a fabulous matching set at a bargain price, great team effort!. Have you looked on youtube for your serger problem? I managed to find videos for both tension and blade issues. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do. It was so expensive last time when I took it to the shop.

      Delete
  8. The sleeves look pretty and comfy and over all I expect your team effort will promote sweet dreams : ) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty fabric.I have not heard of this place.Happy Sewing.x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You both make quite a team, those are wonderful pj's!

    ReplyDelete