Sunday 30 June 2019

On The Flip Side

After posting our weekend cabin sleepover photos last week, I thought it only fair to show you the less idyllic but just as blog worthy side of our efforts at the farm on Midsummer weekend. There was mess, dust, decisions to be made and a little mild bickering thrown in for good measure. I can't let you think we are living some kind of perfect life- oh no no!



We have demolished the old hay barn. This is a really big event because it reveals an unblocked view of the Shropshire Hills from the kitchen and the back elevation of the house which is my favourite part.





The kitchen is also very light now which I am happy about because I made the decision to remove a window on the opposite wall to the bifold doors to allow for a full kitchen run. It has worked. Phew!


There have been a lot of indoor jobs: tiling the utility floor with the dog and fitting the kitchen piece by piece along with the last of the electrics.


The weather has not been on our side - so wet all through June. We managed to snatch an opportunity to work outside a few weekends ago. We wanted to board up this roof overhang before it became a nesting site for swifts. 


The outside is complete. All the stone guys have left. Their final job was to put in the date stone I bought for us. There is my name, blokes name and the year we took the project on (the year my dad passed away) so it seemed a fitting tribute to all concerned. I mean what year would I have estimated it would finish on, I have no idea??


There has been a lot of painting. Nearly every room has three coats of white on. It has taken me 72 hours to do that. Beano did not help last weekend when he knocked a nearly empty tin of undercoat over the edge of the landing. It bounced on the stairs and landed on our hall floor. Thank goodness the parquet was covered and there was some plywood leaning up against the stairs so that stopped most of the splash going on my pine cupboard which is underneath. There was just enough to finish the window cills. 


It was blistering hot on site yesterday. We demolished a rotten mobile home but we could only manage short bursts under the hot tin. We poured jugs of water from the tap over the backs of our heads every couple of hours. It was a scorcher! Time for a rest and some family time today though.

It would be nice to show you something finished wouldn't it? Here is the lounge light complete with squirrel cage bulbs against a painted ceiling. All done.


Just a little update for those following the story. I know it is not everyone's cup of tea but thanks for reading. Jo xxxxx

10 comments:

  1. Nice to read your update on your house. What a view, it's fantastic! Arh poor puppy, such an innocent face. I think I would've been a bit cross too. Take care Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making fantastic progress, and what an achievement it will be when done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your renovation updates. I am about to embark on my own kitchen refurb in 3 weeks time so it's nice to know other folks are busy working hard with amazing results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The house is looking incredible and I think the date stone is a wonderful personal touch. You will have it exactly to your needs and taste when it is done, hang in there. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. "tiling the utility floor with the dog", oh how you have made me laugh. You always need a pawprint somewhere. The picture of him on the stairs is absolutely adorable. And it's all coming along beautifully. That view! Absolutely stunning. Hope you have a good week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beano does look very sorry about the paint...maybe even the paw print, too. The opened up view is wonderful! I am cheering on your hard work...in the heat [wet tea towels draped around your necks can help too], and I admire your beautifully complete lounge light! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't thought of that - good idea!

      Delete
  7. The view now that you have opened it up is amazing. It will be worth all the hard work in the end, such a beautiful home with lots of memories that you can laugh about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for showing us all your hard work, all the good and bad and reminding us that no one has a perfect life. There are cans of paint to be turned over, a bit of bickering and puppies that get into everything. Your house is looking fantastic Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely my cup of tea. You guys are troopers. I love the date stone, and the back elevation of the house is gorgeous. A nice bit of architecture and stone work there. xx

    ReplyDelete