Thursday 15 March 2018

WATG Crochet and other WIP's

I have embarked on a mammoth crochet task which I have always wanted to achieve: to crochet a dress for myself. I have started on the 'Hot in Here' dress in duck egg blue tina tape from Wool and the Gang. It is from their new 2018 Spring/Summer collection.




The kit comes with yarn, pattern booklet, label, needle and a crochet hook. I must admit to not getting on very well with the wooden hook especially as the yarn is flat. I swapped to one of my own metal ones and it was a much smoother ride. The square below is my first one on the wooden hook, however the following five on the metal hook are a much better tension.


The blocks are a combination of double crochet, treble crochet and double treble crochet which makes quite a large block. I need 32 of these to make the tunic/dress. This is obviously a dress that has its occasions - mine will be for poolside wear on holiday. I know Tina Tape is lovely to wear against the skin because I used it here.



My other WIPS include the excitement of getting some of my quilt together. It is a fabulous concoction of colour, just what I wanted it to be.

A by-product of this dresden star quilt is another quilt in the making - less floral, more geometric. I have a shoe box of off cut strips from my big topper. When our evening dinner is cooking I can make one in 20-25 minutes. I have made seven without really thinking about it. Sometimes I make one while I wait for the girls to settle down to sleep. It stops them bickering in the next room when they know I am next door with half an ear out!



I have second sock syndrome on these socks. I am finding new things to do instead cracking on with sock number two but at least they are cast on.



There is also some intentionally slow knitting. Moss stitch is not the speed machine I am used to but comforting nonetheless. This Beatnik sweater has a deadline of Winter 2018 so plenty time for me to grow to love it, pick it up, put it down, take a break, have a mad week on it - that kind of thing.



I am also sneaking in a little baby knit for my cousin who is having a baby soon. This project has that will-I-have-enough-yarn about it feel but I am pressing on.



Will keep you posted. What WIPs do you have on the go?

15 comments:

  1. I have two WIPs only... feel the need to start something new. You are busy Jo, so much making, it is amazing. Both your quilts are going to be very beautiful, it is really nice to see them grow. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilting is keeping me sane and the knitting keeps me awake in the evenings so that I don't fall asleep on the sofa. x

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo on my needles at present is a cable sweater, I had funnily enough looked at the Beatnik sweater and put it in my Ravelry library as wasn’t sure about the neck. Will be watching yours to see how it turns out. I have no other wip going at the moment very good I think. The quilt is coming on fabulously and the second off cut one looks great too so far. Love the duck egg blue of the crochet dress. Are they making a comeback? I remember wearing something similar in the 60’s. Don’t think I’ll bother now though. Allow yourself 6-10 rows each day on your second sock it’ll fly off the needles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the retro vibe of the dress - might have to make it a row longer. We will see. Jo x

      Delete
  3. All your creations are lovely! You have so many projects going on. I can't multitask crafting with housework and I keep on waiting for a large chunk of undisturbed time which I rarely get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you are so productive! It all looks wonderful. Good idea doing a bit in earshot of the girls. I used to work from home in the evening in the next room to my oldest when he was a baby, it was handy if he needed my attention. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - keeps my brain distracted and happy. Jo x

      Delete
  5. I have too many WIPS, it's shocking. That's mainly the reason I started blogging, to make me get on with them. Once in print I feel more accountable. I suppose the main 2 are, crochet sample squares and knitted socks. Your socks and moss stitch knitting look very nice. Soft colour shades. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always the thrill of the start that makes us excited! x

      Delete
  6. I've had a super successful 'finish wip's ' couple of weeks so I've actually got no knitting or crochet on the go at the moment. I feel quite lost when I watch tv of an evening! I have some wool left over from a baby blanket so I just need to decide what I'm going to do.
    I love the look of that dress, how great will that be when you've finished it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is looking incredible! Good luck crocheting your dress. I really like the colour you’ve chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I am quiet new to the world of crochet (knitting my first love), I have to say that I have struggled with the larger sized hooks. I have discovered that apparently after size 5mm hooks, the hooks are made from either the plastic, or bamboo. I think the bamboo is easier than the plastic, but I would rather the metal hooks over all. My hands get sore rather quickly when using the thicker yarn with the large hooks. The lady at the craft store has put me onto another type of hook that has a very thick handle. It is not made out of plastic, nor is it the metal, but it does feel good to crochet with. The only problem I have with that hook is that the handle is big but the part you have the stitches on is very small. Like I say...I am newish to crochet. I love all the work you have done on your crocheting, knitting and sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooohhh so many lovely projects :) I love the look of moss stitch. Have never attempted it but I think I must. I too fear that I will have second sock syndrome as approaching finishing one sock lol. Have a lovely week xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that quilt is a fabulous collection of colors. The colors grabbed me right away! Congrats on meeting your March goal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I know how you're so productive! Making use of every last minute of time like you do scrap of fabric or length of yarn. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete