Monday 19 March 2018

All Done #19 Jersey dress and T-shirt


Before Christmas we made a very enjoyable visit to Bath. We came across a fabric shop, I don't remember the name only that the proprietors were really miserable and totally none engaging, however Heidi saw this fabric and really wanted it for another jersey dress. They are her favourite type of garment to wear. When I make jersey dresses for her, she wears them until she has outgrown them - so it feels like good value.


This McCalls pattern is really good. She likes the top of view F and the bottom of View A. Using some new knowledge from the book Sewing with jersey Knits by Wendy Ward I whipped this up pretty quickly.It looks really fun. 


I made a neck binding by sewing it open right side to wrong side and then bringing it forward and encasing the neck edge and folding in under. That way you top sew it from the right side and you can see the exact finish you are going to get. Essentially you sew it twice - once to attach the neckband to the garment and secondly to top stitch it in place neatly.


You could use a solid colour for the trim for a different effect.


I had some left over for junior too. I went for my go to t-shirt pattern from Ottobre to use up the remainder.


This one has a different neckband. You fold the neck band in half and sew right sides together then press it into place with the inside seam facing down. It is then followed by a three step zigzag top stitch to hold the inside seam down but still remains stretchy.



All done #19 with these little birdies on clouds. No little bits left over. A success all round for everyone.

Thanks for dropping by. Jo xxxx

13 comments:

  1. Wow they look stunning. How tall and grown up looking are those girls getting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so much fun. No wonder the girls love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I love this fabric. My daughter enjoys t-shirt dresses. She looks especially nice in skater-style dresses because she has a very narrow waist, the lucky girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress and top:) The neck finish is so perfect! I am not good at sewing and often mess up with the neck part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you know a proper technique it is easier and neater. I have made some shockers in the past!

      Delete
  5. What a sweet fabric choice! Love t-shirt and dress and wish I was a little girl again. Isn't it astonishing how some shop keepers are not really people people? Have a good week my friend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really nice fabric and jersey dresses are the comfiest to wear, your girl has good taste. I love the details on the t-shirt too. How odd about the shop owner, not a way to encourage return customers. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a success! I’m sure that both garments will get a lot of wear. I really like the red zigzag on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both the dress and top look really good Jo. A friend of mine once told me, that her Mum would buy girls t-shirts for the Grand Daughters and cut them somewhere above the waist. She would then gather material for a skirt piece and attach to make sweet summer dresses. Sorry if I've told you that before, I couldn't remember. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such lovely fabric, how beautifully it hangs too. Tried to do some sewing today...unusually! I wanted to make easter bunnies ( 20!) and bought some yellow gingham....didn't realise the fabric has some stretch in it until I came to whip them up on the machine....the stitches were giant and came undone as soon as I took the work off the machine. Ended up sewing the whole lot!! A quick google tonight suggests I needed a special needle....would you concur??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. should read "ended up hand sewing the whole lot!"

      Delete
  10. Your models look so pretty and happy in their new cloths, Jo. They are lucky to have such a talented mom.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, GORGEOUS! Love the fabric and the cut. Very mini Boden but quite a lot cheaper I'm guessing!

    ReplyDelete