Wednesday 16 August 2017

My heart wasn't in it...

"There are many things in life which will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those."


It all looked so wonderful in the magazine and all stacked up in my basket but two thirds of the way up the back - it just wasn't right.I had the feeling it was going to be too small for starters. Also the colourwork was all knobbly but when I honestly looked at the modeled photo, so was theirs. I had a few mistakes too which was making me loose careful concentration. There must have been a reason this had been hibernating for so long with no progress.


I had a 'WIP assessment meeting' with my mum and took stock of what I had on the go. The mustard cardigan is back on the knitting needles, I have one sock half done, I have finished my infinity scarf and I am also revisiting my blue cascade roll neck jumper.

I mean if I could mull it over with my mum for five minutes and decide I didn't like it then it had to go. She said, "if your heart isn't in it, don't knit it." She was right, there is so little time and so many patterns I decided to frog the brown and bin the rest.


The upshot of all that lovely autumnal yarn is that I am going to give all my love to this stripy sweater instead. 

Any Work In Progress hiding at your place?

7 comments:

  1. Oh i love the stripy sweater, the other one...not so much!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, don't we all? I have half knitted socks, which I will not finish because they are too plain for my heart to like them, a crochet blanket, which is waiting patiently for the cooler months and a shrug that I have to frog because it is too big.

    I have to agree with you on the jumper WIP you have frogged, it is a good decision. The pattern reminds me of imaginary unloved knitwear from my childhood. Imaginary because I didn't have actually have much knitwear bar the knitted woolly undies to keep my bottom worm as a toddler (shudder) but if I did, this pattern would have been among the mix. I think I getting myself confused here. In any case, you'd be forever annoyed with the lumps and bumps. Autumnal stripes sound just right and require less concentration to work up, too.

    Your mum is a wise woman. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Nice work there kick starting some WIP's. I love the look of that stripy jumper!
    shrunk one of my favourite RTW stripy jumpers and thought about knitting my own but I don't manage to get my sewing projects finished so I'll put that on the back burner for now!
    As for WIP's, I still have my T&tB Cleo Dungaree Dress lurking in a bag at the moment. My focus is on trying to finish my 75% finished SOI Alex shirt-dress this week. Fingers crossed I manage to finish it and THEN I could tackle the Cleo.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha no none ! (she fibbed) wish i had someone to do a wip assesment with can you come round in 10 minutes?
    bestest
    Ashley xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it looked very nice, but if your heart isn't in it, it makes really hard going. Best to put it behind you and do another project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've really come to appreciate the freedom to stop a project when I'm just not feeling it. I used to persist, no matter what, but I rarely do that anymore. I have a finite amount of time to craft and I need to enjoy it! I loved seeing your hex blanket over the chair, by the way. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would have done the same. If it looks like it will never be right, it probably doesn't deserve your time.

    ReplyDelete